The Educated Blogger: Using Weblogs to Promote Literacy in the Classroom Article
David Huffaker, Georgetown University, United States
AACE Journal Volume 13, Number 2, ISSN 1065-6901 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This paper explores the role of weblogs in promoting literacy in classroom settings. Literacy remains paramount in learning, not only for language development, but also as the foundation of all academic disciplines including science and mathematics. Storytelling ignites literacy and remains an important part of life from childhood through adulthood. Weblogs resemble personal journals or diaries and provide an online venue where self-expression and creativity is encouraged and online communities are built. Therefore weblogs provide an excellent tool where storytelling and literacy advance for both individual expressions and collaborative learning. Furthermore, weblogs can be used across academic disciplines, making it a viable tool for educational technologists.
Huffaker, D. (2005). The Educated Blogger: Using Weblogs to Promote Literacy in the Classroom. AACE Journal, 13(2), 91-98. Norfolk, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved May 27, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/5680/.
© 2005 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Cassell, J. (2002). “We have these rules inside”: The effects of exercising voice in a children’s online forum. In S. Calvert, A. Jordan& R. Cocking (Eds.) , Children in the digital age: Influences of electronic media on developmenT. Westport , CT: Praeger.
- Crystal, D. (2001). Language and the Internet. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Greenspan, R. (2003 , July 23). Blogging by the numbers. CyberA t las. Retrieved March 5 , 2005 from www. In terne tnews.com /s ta ts /ar t ic le.php / 2238831
- Huffaker, D. (2004). Spinning yarns around a digital fire: Storytelling and dialogue among youth on the Internet. First Monday, 9(1).
- Kennedy , K . (2003 , February 13) . Writing with web logs . Techno logy and Learning Magazine , 23 .
- Turkle, S. (1995). Life on the screen. New York: Simon and Schuster.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.