E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-90-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
Maps such as concept maps and knowledge maps are often used as learning materials. These maps have nodes and links, nodes as key concepts and links as relationships between key concepts. From a map, the user can recognize the important concepts and the relationships between them. To build concept or knowledge maps, domain experts are needed. Therefore, since these experts are hard to obtain, the cost of map creation is high. In this study, an attempt was made to automatically build a domain knowledge map for e-learning using text mining techniques. From a set of documents about a specific topic, keywords are extracted using the TF/IDF algorithm. A domain knowledge map (K-map) is based on ranking pairs of keywords according to the number of appearances in a sentence and the number of words in a sentence. K-map does not label links; instead K-map shows all sentences containing the two keywords placed at both ends of the relation chosen. Therefore, K-maps show promise as a tool for e-learning environments.
Lee, J.H. & Segev, A. (2011). Knowledge Maps for e-Learning. In C. Ho & M. Lin (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2011--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 2399-2408). Honolulu, Hawaii, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 26, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/39089/.
© 2011 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Amer, A.A. (1994). The effect of knowledge-map and underlining training on the reading comprehension of scientific texts. English for Specific Purposes, 13(1), 35-45.
- Ausubel, D. (1968). Educational psychology: A cognitive approach. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Cañas, A.J., Carff, R., Hill, G., Carvalho, M., Arguedas, M., Eskridge, T.C., Lott, J., Carvajal, R. (2005). Concept maps: integrating knowledge and information visualization" Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3426/2005, 181-184.
- Carvalho, M.R., Hewett, R., Cañas, A.J. (2001). Enhancing web searches from concept map-based knowledge models. In Proceedings of Multiconference on Systems, Cybernetics and Informatics, 69-73.
- Czerniak, M.C. (1998). The effect of collaborative concept mapping on elementary preservice teachers' anxiety, efficacy, and achievement in physical science. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 9(4), 303-320.
- Dansereau, D.F., Dees, S.M., Simpson, D.D. (1994). Cognitive Modularity: Implications for Counseling and the Representation of Personal Issues, Journal of Counseling Psychology 41(4), 513-523.
- Holley, C.D., Dansereau D.F. (1984). Spatial learning strategies: Techniques, applications, and related issues. New York, NY: Academic Press.
- McClure, J.R., Sonak, B., Suen, H.K. (1999). Concept map assessment of classroom learning: Reliability, validity, and logistical practicality. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(4), 475-492.
- Nesbit, J., Adesope, O. (2005). Dynamic concept maps. In Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications, 4323-4329.
- Novak, J.D., Musonda, D. (1991). A twelve-year longitudinal study of science concept learning. American Educational Research Journal, 28, 117-153.
- O'Donnell, A.M., Dansereau D.F, Hall R.H. (2002). Knowledge maps as scaffolds for cognitive processing. Educational Psychology Review, 14(1), 71-86.
- Porter, M.F. (1980). An Algorithm for Suffix stripping, Automated Library and Information Systems 14(3), 130-137
- Rewey, K.L., Dansereau, D.F., Skaggs, L.P., Hall, R.H., Pitre, U. (1989). Effects of scripted cooperation and knowledge maps on the recall of technical material. Journal of Educational Psychology, 81, 604-609.
- Salton, G., Buckley, C. (1988). Term-weighting approaches in automatic text retrieval, Information processing& Management, 513-523.
- Stoyanova, N., Kommers, P. (2002). Concept mapping as a medium of shared cognition in computer-supported collaborative problem solving. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 13(1), 111-134.
- Tseng, S.S., Sue, P.C., Su, J.M., Weng, J.F., Tsai, W.N. (2007). A new approach for constructing the concept map. Computers& Education 49(3), 691-707.
- Urfat, N., Korhan, G. (2009). Relation extraction among learning concepts in intelligent tutoring systems,
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.