ICT integration in a “FutureSchool" in Singapore PROCEEDINGS
Wen Chee Chung, Hwa Chong Institution, Singapore
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-90-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Since 1997, Singapore has implemented a series of Info-communication Technology (ICT) Masterplans (MP). Now into its 3rd MP, FutureSchools (FS) have been selected to spearhead school-wide innovations. This study is located in FutureSchool ‘X’, an independent school that provides Secondary and Pre-University education. One of the FS goals is for teachers to use ICTs in their lessons to nurture students to be self-directed and deep learners. This is a qualitative study on how the teachers deal with this goal. The key findings indicate that teachers’ perspectives on how knowledge of their discipline should be learnt, frame their lesson designs. Such framing processes can impact adoption of ICT integration. However, framing does not curtail innovations. Good integration practices are reflective of good research practices. Such practices enhance the teachers’ personalization of ICT integration as demonstrated by their responses in making improvements in their FS initiatives.
Chung, W.C. (2011). ICT integration in a “FutureSchool" in Singapore. In C. Ho & M. Lin (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2011--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 1118-1127). Honolulu, Hawaii, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/38864/.
© 2011 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Anderson, A. (2004). An introduction to teacher research. Retrieved July 20, 2009, from http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/659
- Bogdan, R.C., & Biklen, S.K. (2003). Qualitative research for education: An introduction to theory and methods.
- Cuttance, P. (2001) School Innovation: Pathway to a knowledge society. The Innovation and Best Practice Project. Canberra, ACT: Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved November 30, 2009 from http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/school_education/publications_resources/school_innovation/default.htm
- Ertmer, P.A., Addison, P., Lane, M., Ross, E., & Woods, D (1999). Examining teachers' beliefs about the role of technology in the elementary classroom. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 32, 54-72.
- Herrington, J. (2006). Authentic e-learning in higher education: Design principles for authentic learning environments and tasks. In T. Reeves& S. Yamashita (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning inCorporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2006 (pp. 3164-3173). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Hooper, S., & Rieber, L.P. (1995). Teaching with technology. In A. Ornstein (Ed.), Teaching: Theory into practices. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- International Alliance of Leading Education Institutes. (2008). Transforming teacher education: Redefined professionals for 21st century schools. National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Lawless, K.A. And Pellegrino, J.W. (2007). Professional development in integrating technology into teaching and learning: Knowns, unknowns, and ways to pursue better questions and answers. Review of Educational Research, December 2007, 77(4), 575-614.
- Koh,T.S. And Lee,S.C. (Eds.) (2008). Information communication technology in education: Singapore’s ICT Masterplans 1997-2008. Singapore:World Scientific.
- Miles. M.B. And Hubermann, A.M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: an expanded sourcebook (2nd ed). Thousand Oaks, CA:Sage.
- Phelps, R. And Graham, A (2007). Developing technology together: Consolidated report on an investigation of the metacognitive influences on teachers’ use of information and communication technology (ICT) and the implications for teacher professional development. Lismore:Southern Cross University.
- Prensky, M (2008). The Role of Technology in Teaching and the Classroom. Educational Technology, Nov-Dec 2008. Retrieved December 30, 2009, from http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/PrenskyThe_Role_of_Technology-ET-11-12-08.pdf
- Reis-Jorge J. (2007). Teachers’ Conceptions of Teacher-Research and Self-Perceptions as enquiring Practitioners– a longitudinal case study. Teaching and Teacher Education. 23, 402-417.
- Tan, S.C., Chai, C.S., Lee, C.B., Teo, T., Koh, J., Chen, W., Lee S.C., Foo, H.H. And Cheah, H.M. (2010). Evaluation of implementation of the IT Masterplan 3 and its impact on Singapore schools-instrumentation and baseline study. Research Brief No. 11-001, Nanyang Technology University.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- ELearn2011CHUNGWenCheev3_2011Oct12.pdf (Access with Subscription)