The Digital Curriculum Divide: Preparing Preservice Teachers to Meet the Information and Communication Technology Demands in the Teaching Profession
Rob Horgan, Queen's University, Canada
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in San Diego, CA, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-78-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
The teaching profession requires Ontario's elementary classroom teachers use information and communication technology (ICT) effectively in their teaching. Despite this requirement, current practices do not demonstrate a province-wide standard or curriculum to support teacher literacy in ICT. This paper reviews policies and publications from the Ontario Ministry of Education, the Ontario College of Teachers, and faculties of education in Ontario to substantiate that Ontario teacher education programs may be insufficiently preparing preservice teachers to meet the ICT requirements of the teaching profession. Looking to models outside of Ontario, recommendations are suggested for improvement.
Horgan, R. (2010). The Digital Curriculum Divide: Preparing Preservice Teachers to Meet the Information and Communication Technology Demands in the Teaching Profession. In D. Gibson & B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2010--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3249-3256). San Diego, CA, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 18, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/33875/.
© 2010 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Brown, J., & Norberg, K.D. (1965). Administering educational media. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Government of Ontario. (1996). Ontario college of teachers act, 1996. Retrieved November 28 from the Government of Ontario e-Laws Website: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_96o12_e.htm
- Hayes, D. (2007). ICT and learning: Lessons from Australian classrooms. Computers and Education 49, pp. 385395.
- Ho, W. (2007). Students' experiences with and preferences for using information technology in music learning in Shanghai's secondary schools. British Journal of Educational Technology, 38(4), pp. 699-714.
- ISTE. (2008). The ISTE national educational technology standards (NETS-T) and performance indicators for teachers. Retrieved November 26, 2008 from the International Society for Technology in Education Website: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf
- Kay, R. (2006). Evaluating strategies used to incorporate technology into preservice education: A review of the literature. Journal of Research on Technology in Education. 38(4), pp. 383-408.
- Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P., & Yahya, K. (2005). Tracing the development of teacher knowledge in a design seminar: Integrating content, pedagogy, & Technology. Computers and Education, 49, pp. 740-762.
- Lieberman, A. (2000). Networks as learning communities: Shaping the future of teacher development. Journal of Teacher Education, (51)3, pp. 221-227.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2003). Not “what” but “how”: Becoming design-wise about educational technology. In Y. Zhao (Ed.), What should teachers know about technology? Perspectives and practices. (pp. 99-121).
- NCATE. (2008). Professional standards for the accreditation of teacher preparation institutions. Retrieved November 30, 3008 from http://www.ncate.org/documents/standards/NCATE%20Standards%202008.pdf
- November, A. (2001). Empowering students with technology. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press.
- Oberlander, J., & Talbert-Johnson, C. (2007). Envisioning the foundations of technology education in pre-service education. Retrieved November 26, 2008 from the Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) Website: http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/contentdelivery/servlet/ERICServlet?accno=ED501246
- Ontario College of Teachers. (2003). Ontario college of teachers accreditation handbook 2003. Retrieved November 25, 2008 from the Ontario College of Teachers Website: http://www.oct.ca/publications/pdf/accreditation_e.pdf
- Ontario Ministry of Education (2004). The Ontario curriculum grades 1-8. Social studies. Toronto, Ontario: Queen’s Printer for Ontario.
- Pasco, B., & Adcock, P.G. (2007). New rules, new roles: Technology standards and teacher education. Educational Considerations, 34(2), pp. 25-26.
- Polselli, R. (2002). Combining web-based training and mentorship to improve technology integration in the K-12 classroom. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 10(2), pp. 247-272.
- Pratt, D. (1994). Curriculum planning: A handbook for professionals. Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.
- Smith-Gratto, K., LeFlore, D., McCary-Henderson, S., & Olds, T. (2004). Evaluating the infusion of technology into teacher education curriculum. In Crawford, C., Willis, D.A., Carlsen, R., Ginson, I., McFerrin, K., Price, J., & Weber, R. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2004 (pp. 3683-3685). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Snoek, M., Wielenga, D., Aardse, K., & Voogt, J. (2000). Towards a new curriculum for pre-service teacher education: A response to the challenge of the information age. In Crawford, C., Willis, D.A., Carlsen, R., Aardse, K. & Voogt, J. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2000 (pp. 889-896). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Tanzman, J., & Dunn, K.D. (1971). Using technology media effectively. West Nyack, New York: Parker Publishing Company, Inc.
- Toledo, C. (2005). A five-stage model of computer technology integration into teacher education curriculum. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 5(2), 177-191.
- Van Schie, J. (1997). A world-wide-web survey on the use of information and communication technology (ICT) in education. European Journal of Teacher Education, 20(1), 85-92. Retrieved December 04, 2008, from http://www.informaworld.com/10.1080/0261976970200108
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (2007). Preparing future teachers June 2007. The standards, guidelines and process for the accreditation of pre-service teacher education courses. Retrieved November 28, 2008 from the Victorian Institute of Teaching Website: http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/content.asp?Document_ID=795
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- presentation_3040_28326.ppt (Access with Subscription)