Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Charleston, SC, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-67-9 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This pilot study examines the impact of technology integration within a multiple subject teacher education program with a bilingual or English language learner (ELL) emphasis on teacher candidate technology competence and self-efficacy to integrate technology. Results indicate that the technology self-efficacy of all participants increased during the study period. No significant differences in access to technology or initial self-reported technology competence were found between bilingual and general teacher candidates. More research is needed in technology and bilingual preservice teacher education. Studies that examine how other factors (e.g., age, childhood socioeconomic status, prior classroom experience, field assignment, and course instructor technology competence) contribute to preservice teachers’ technology self-efficacy would be particularly important.
Hansen, L., Donovan, L. & Fitts, S. (2009). Bilingual and ELL Preservice Teachers and Technology Self-Efficacy. In I. Gibson, R. Weber, K. McFerrin, R. Carlsen & D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2009--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 688-695). Charleston, SC, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/30684/.
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-Efficacy in changing societies. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bandura, A. (2006). Guide for constructing self-efficacy scales. In F. Pajares & T. Urdan (Eds.), Self-efficacy beliefs of adolescents (pp. 307-337). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Bandura, A.(2008). Teacher self-efficacy
- Fox, S., & Livingston, G. (2007). Latinos online. Washington, DC: Pew Hispanic Center/Pew Internet& American Life Project. Jayson, S.
- Kulik, J.A. (2003). Effects of using instructional technology in elementary and secondary schools: What controlled evaluation studies say. Arlington, VA: SRI International. (SRI Project No. P10446.001)
- Lambert, J., Gong, Y., & Cuper, P. (2008). Technology, transfer and teaching: The impact of a single technology course on preservice teachers’ computer attitudes and ability. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 16(4), 385-410.
- Lin, C. (2008). Preservice teachers' beliefs about using technology in the mathematics classroom. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 27(3), 341-360.
- O’Byrne, B., Securro, S., Jones, J., & Cadle, C. (2006). Making the cut: The impact of an integrated learning system on low achieving middle school students. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 22, 218-228.
- Parrish, T.B., Perez, M., Merickel, A., Linquanti, R. (2006). Effects of the implementation of Proposition 227 on the education of English learners. American Institutes for Research and West Ed. San Francisco, CA.
- Rodriguez, D., & Pelaez, G. (2002, November). Reaching TESOL teachers through technology. Paper presented at the meeting of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Puerto Rico.
- Shuie, Y.M. (2007). Investigating the sources of teachers’ instructional technology use through the decomposed theory of planned behavior. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 36(4), 425-453.
- Simonsson, M. (2004). Technology use of Hispanic bilingual teachers: A function of their beliefs. Journal of Instructional Psychology, 31(3), 257-266.
- Tschannen-Moran, M., & Woolfolk Hoy, A. (2001). Teacher efficacy: Capturing an elusive construct. Teaching and Teacher Education, 17, 783-805.
- Tschannen-Moran, M., & Woolfolk Hoy, A. (2007). The differential antecedents of self-efficacy beliefs of novice and experienced teachers. Teaching and Teacher Education, 23, 944-56.
- Weisman, E.M., & Hansen, L.E. (2008). Student teaching in urban and suburban schools: Perspectives of Latino preservice teachers. Urban Education, 43(6), 653-670.
- Wetzel, K. & Chisholm, I. (1998). An evaluation of technology integration in teacher education for bilingual and English as a second language education majors. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 30(4), 379-97.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.