Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in San Antonio, Texas, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-61-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
In the 21st century, digital storytelling has become a popular multimedia tool in K-12 education. It has potential for making the teaching-learning process effective because it utilizes the age old tested process of learning through stories. The purpose of this paper is to help elementary school teachers and teacher educators visualize the possible applications of digital storytelling in their classrooms. This paper starts with the background and meaning of storytelling and follows with the articulation of the reasons why digital storytelling has become a buzz for both children and teachers in our schools and society. A lesson plan is included to guide social science teachers to integrate digital storytelling in their classrooms.
Gakhar, S. & Thompson, A. (2007). DIGITAL STORYTELLING: Engaging, Communicating, and Collaborating. In R. Carlsen, K. McFerrin, J. Price, R. Weber & D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2007--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 607-612). San Antonio, Texas, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 23, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/24609/.
- Armstrong, S. (2003). The power of storytelling in education. In Armstrong, S. (Ed.), Snapshots! Educational insights from the Thornburg Center. Lake Barrington, Illinois: The Thornburg Center.
- Behmer, S. (2005). Retrieved April 30, 2006 from http://projects.educ.iastate.edu/~ds/Behmer/.
- Gere, J., Kozolvich, B., & Kelin, D. (2002). By word of mouth: A storytelling guide for the classroom. Honolulu, HI: Pacific Resources for Education and Learning.
- International Society for Technology in Education. (2000). National Educational Technology Standards for Students. Eugene, OR: Author. Language Arts Standards. Retrieved April 29, 2006 from http://www.ncte.org/about/over/standards/110846.htm.
- Lambert, J. (2002). Digital Storytelling: Capturing lives, Creating Community. Berkeley, CA: Digital Diner Press.
- McDrury, J., & Alterio, M. (2003). Learning through storytelling in higher education. Sterling, VA: Kogan Page Limited.
- Mello, R. (2001). The power of storytelling: How oral narrative influences children’s relationships in classrooms. International Journal of Education and the Arts. 2(1).
- Ohler, J. (2006). The world of digital storytelling. Educational Leadership, Retrieved April 29, 2006 from http://www.jasonohler.com/pdfs/digitalStorytellingArticle1-2006.pdf.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
Yan Xu & Jooyeun Ahn, Korea National University of Education, Korea (South)
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (Mar 29, 2010) pp. 2118–2125
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.