E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-35-3 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
Research affirms that mentoring enhances learning and personal growth. In C.A.M.P. Osprey at the University of North Florida, college students served as leadership mentors to K-12 students. To overcome geographic and financial barriers faced by high-poverty urban and rural partner schools, the program harnessed virtual mentoring through videoconferencing technology to connect K-12 students with their collegiate mentors. Cognitive apprenticeship and self-determination theory provided the theoretical frameworks for the design of the mentoring program. The mentored students demonstrated substantial improvements in academic achievement and attendance during their mentoring semester, with the virtually mentored students gaining as much or more than their face-to-face mentored counterparts. This proposal will share successes and challenges associated with program development, implementation and technology adaptation along with previous outcomes associated with collegiate mentor and K12 mentee participants.
Ohlson, M. & Bird-Suriano, K. (2018). The Virtual Apprentice: Harnessing the Power of Technology to Create a National Network of College and Career Ready Leaders. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 950-977). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 19, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/185324/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Agresti, A. (2013). Categorical data analysis (3rd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Bierema, L., & Hill, J. (2005). Virtual mentoring and HRD. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 7(4), 556-568.
- Bierema, L., & Merriam, S. (2002). E-mentoring: Using computer mediated communication to enhance the mentoring process. Innovative Higher Education, 26(3), 211-227.
- Bozeman, B., & Feeney, M.K. (2008). Mentor matching: A "goodness of fit" model. Administration and Society, 40(5), 465-482.
- Collins, A., Brown, J.S., & Holum, A. (1991). Cognitive apprenticeship: Making thinking
- Conway, C.M., & Holcomb, A. (2008). Perceptions of experienced music teachers regarding visible. American Educator, 15(3), 6-11.
- Covey, S. (2014). The 7 habits of highly effective teens. New York, NY: Touchstone. Press.
- Covey, S.R. (1989). The 7 habits of highly effective people. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Crisp, G., & Cruz, I. (2009). Mentoring college students: A critical review of the literature between 1990 and 2007. Research in Higher Education, 50(6), 525-545.
- DuBois, D.L., Holloway, B.E., Valentine, J.C., & Cooper, H. (2002). Effectiveness of mentoring programs for youth: A meta-analytic review. American Journal of
- Ehrlich, S. (2013) E-Mentoring: Exploring the relationship between mentoring, technology and community. In B. Winston & R. Lee (Eds.), Mentorship in sign language interpreting (pp. 39-48). Alexandria, VA: Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
- Ensher, E.A., Heun, C., & Blanchard, A. (2003). Online mentoring and computer-mediated communication: New directions in research. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 63, 264288.
- Herrera, C., DuBois, D.L., & Grossman, J.B. (2013). The role of risk: Mentoring experiences Ventures project distributed by MDRC.
- Higgins, M.C., & Kram, K.E. (2001). Re-conceptualizing mentoring at work: A 288.
- Garrison, D.R. (2011). E-learning in the 21st century: A framework for research and practice. And outcomes for youth with varying risk profiles. New York, NY: A Public/Private
- Hudson, P., & Hudson, S. (2010). Mentor educators' understandings of mentoring preservice primary teachers. International Journal of Learning, 17(2), 157-169.
- Klinge, C.C. (2015). A conceptual framework for mentoring in a learning organization.
- Knouse, S.B. (2001). Virtual mentors: Mentoring on the internet. Journal of Employment Adult Learning, 26(4), 160-166. Doi:10.1177/1045159515594154Counseling,38(4),162–169.
- Kuh, G.D. (2008). Excerpt from high-impact educational practices: What they are, who has access to them, and why they matter. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
- Long, C., & Close, B. (2012). E-mentoring for K-12 Students: Support for NASA virtual visits.
- Ohlson, M. (2009). CAMP Gator: Collegiate achievement mentoring program. Journal for
- Ohlson, M., & Froman, R. (2012). Virtual mentoring: Developing global leaders for Distance Learning, 9(1), 1.
- Ohlson, M., & Quinn, D. (2010, May). The Collegiate Achievement Mentoring Program: K-20 leadership mentoring for the next generation of educators. Paper presented at American Educational Research (AERA), Denver, CO.
- Owen, H.D. (2015). Making the most of mobility: Virtual mentoring and education practitioner professional development. Research in Learning Technology, 23, 1-14.
- Pidgeon, M.M., Archibald, J., & Hawkey, C. (2014). Relationships matter: Supporting Aboriginal graduate students in British Columbia, Canada. Canadian Journal of
- Redmond, P. (2015). Discipline specific online mentoring for secondary pre-service teachers. Computers and Education, (90)1, 95-104.
- Rhodes, J.E., Spencer, R., Saito, R.N., & Sipe, C.L. (2006). Online mentoring: The promise and challenges of an emerging approach to youth development. The Journal of Primary Prevention, 27(5), 497-513.
- Reese, J. (2016). Virtual mentoring of preservice teachers. Journal of Music Teacher
- Scogin, S.C., & Stuessy, C.L. (2015). Encouraging greater student inquiry engagement in science through motivational support by online scientist-mentors. Science Education, 99(2), 312. Doi:10.1002/sce.21145
- Tierney, J.P., Grossman, J.B. & Resch, N.L. (2000). Making a difference: An impact study of Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Retrieved November 29, 2017 from https://www.issuelab.org/resource/making-a-difference-an-impact-study-of-bigbrothers-big-sisters-re-issue-of-1995-study.html
- Zydney, J.M., deNoyelles, A., & Kyeong-Ju Seo, K. (2012). Creating a community of inquiry in online environments: An exploratory study on the effect of a protocol on interactions within asynchronous discussions. Computers & Education, 58(1), 77–87.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.