Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Washington, D.C., United States ISBN 978-1-939797-32-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This paper presents the case study that focuses on examining the differences between levels of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) of preservice special education elementary school teachers taking the graduate level course Integrating Technology in Mathematics and Science Instruction in Special Education and Inclusive Classrooms in a New York City public university. The purpose of this study was to analyze how to use the TPACK Levels Rubric (Lyublinskaya & Tournaki, 2012) to measure pre-service and in-service teachers’ TPACK level based on various artifacts. The case study focused on a single pre-service teacher’s lesson plan representing average TPACK level for the same population. The authors examined criteria of the TPACK Levels Rubric to understand the differences in levels of TPACK for each component of the TPACK Levels Rubric, developed examples of how the scored lesson plan would look like if it were one and two TPACK levels below or above the actual level to support the scoring procedure and to create guidelines for educators using this tool in assessing pre-service and in-service teachers’ TPACK level. The ongoing analysis of the rubric that focuses on unpacking criteria of the TPACK Levels Rubric will lead to the revision of the original rubric.
Kaplon-Schilis, A. & Lyublinskaya, I. (2018). Unpacking Performance Indicators in the TPACK Levels Rubric to Examine Differences in the Levels of TPACK. In E. Langran & J. Borup (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2074-2083). Washington, D.C., United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/182813/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Abbitt, J.T. (2011). Measuring technological pedagogical content knowledge in preservice teacher education: A review of current methods and instruments. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 43(4), 281-300.
- Archambault, L. (2016). Exploring the use of qualitative methods to examine TPACK. In M.C. Herring, M.J. Koehler, & P. Mishra (Eds.). Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for educators (pp 65-85). New York,
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.C. (2016). A review of the quantitative measures of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Handbook of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) for Educators, 87.
- Glasser, B.G., & Strauss, A.L. (1967). The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research. New York, NY: Aldine Publishing Company.
- Gronlund, N.E. (1998). Assessment of student achievement. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon Publishing.
- Grossman, P.L. (1991). Overcoming the apprenticeship of observation in teacher education coursework. Teaching and Teacher Education, 7(4), 345-357.
- Harris, J., Grandgenett, N., & Hofer, M. (2010). Testing a TPACK-based technology integration assessment rubric. In D. Gibson& B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3833-3840).
- Hermans, R., Tondeur, J., van Braak, J., & Valcke, M. (2008). The impact of primary school teachers’ educational beliefs on the classroom use of computers. Computers& Education, 51(4), 1499-1509.
- Kaplon-Schilis, A., & Lyublinskaya, I. (2015). Exploring changes in technological knowledge (TK), pedagogical knowledge (PK), content knowledge (CK) and TPACK of pre-service, special education teachers taking technology-based pedagogical course. In Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3296-3303). Association
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2012). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. In R. Ronau, C. Rakes, & M. Niess (Eds.), Educational Technology, Teacher Knowledge, and Classroom Impact: A Research Handbook on Frameworks and Approaches. (pp. 16-31) Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Koehler, M., Mishra, P., & Yahya, K. (2007). Tracing the development of teacher knowledge in a design seminar: Integrating content, pedagogy and technology. Computers& Education, 49(3), 740–762.
- Lyublinskaya, I., & Tournaki, N. (2010, March). Integrating TI-Nspire technology into algebra classrooms: Selected factors that relate to quality of instruction. In Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1513 – 1520). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Lyublinskaya, I. & Tournaki, E. (2012). The Effects of teacher content authoring on TPACK and on student achievement in algebra: Research on instruction with the TI-Nspire handheld. In R.Ronau, C.Rakes, & M. Niess (Eds.), Educational Technology, Teacher knowledge, and Classroom Impact: A Research Handbook on Frameworks and Approaches. (pp. 295322)
- Martin, P.Y., & Turner, B.A. (1986). Grounded theory and organizational research. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 22(2), 141-157.
- Marzano, R.J. (2010). Art& Science of teaching. Educational Leadership, 68(4), 82-85.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Mouza, C. (2016). Developing and assessing TPACK among pre-service teachers: A synthesis of research. In M.C. Herring, M.J. Koehler, and P. Mishra (Eds.), Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for educators (2nd ed., pp. 169–190). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Niess, M.L. (2005). Preparing teachers to teach science and mathematics with technology: Developing a technology pedagogical content knowledge. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21(5), 509-523.
- Niess, M.L. (2008). Knowledge needed for teaching with technologies– Call it TPACK. AMTE Connections, 17, 9–10.
- Niess, M.L., & Gillow-Wiles, H. (2010). Advancing K-8 mathematics and science teachers knowledge for teaching with technology through an online graduate program. In D. Gibson& B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3911-3919). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Niess, M.L., van Zee, E.H., & Gillow-Wiles, H. (2010). Knowledge growth in teaching mathematics/science with spreadsheets: Moving PCK to TPACK through online professional development. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 27(2), 42-52.
- Olofson, M.W., Swallow, M.J., & Neumann, M.D. (2016). TPACKing: A constructivist framing of TPACK to analyze teachers' construction of knowledge. Computers& Education, 95, 188-201.
- Rillero, P., & Padgett, H. (2012). Supporting deep conceptual learning. THE Journal, 39(9), 37-40.
- Rogers, E.M. (1995). Lessons for guidelines from the diffusion of innovations. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 21(7), 324-328.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research and Teacher Education, 42(2), 123–149.
- Shinas, V.H., Yilmaz-Ozden, S., Mouza, C., Karchmer-Klein, R., & Glutting, J.J. (2013). Examining domains of technological pedagogical content knowledge using factor analysis. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(4), 339-360.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Tearle, P., & Golder, G. (2008). The use of ICT in the teaching and learning of physical education in compulsory education: how do we prepare the workforce of the future? European Journal of Teacher Education, 31(1), 55-72.
- Tondeur, J., van Braak, J., Sang, G., Voogt, J., Fisser, P., & Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A. (2012). Preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology in education: A synthesis of qualitative evidence. Computers& Education, 59(1), 134-144.
- Weber, K. (2001). Student difficulty in constructing proofs: The need for strategic knowledge. Educational studies in mathematics, 48(1), 101-119.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.