Journal of Technology and Teacher Education Volume 24, Number 2, ISSN 1059-7069 Publisher: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education, Waynesville, NC USA
Central to determining the effectiveness of technology to support learning and the value of technology-mediated instruction is the quality of programs. edTPA is a widely accepted, national measure of teacher readiness and preparation. Using edTPA score reports for teacher candidates completing a teacher education program, this study provides data informed evidence of the equivalency of online teacher candidates’ learning outcomes as compared to candidates completing traditional face to face (F2F) programs. Mean and summative performance results suggest that mode of course delivery was not a significant factor in preparing teacher candidates. In general, learning was comparable in either format; however, analyses at the element level offer evidence of differences in achievement outcomes associated with program structure. These findings challenge notions that traditional methods of teacher preparation are the only reputable pathways to becoming a teacher and suggest attributes of online learning may be linked to differences in candidate knowledge and skills preparation when equitable curricular opportunities are provided. Based on the results of this study, authors contend that not only is online an equivalent and in some cases more effective method for preparing teachers; it may be a more adept program delivery platform for preparing educators for planning for instruction and assessing student learning outcomes.
Heafner, T. & Petty, T. (2016). Using edTPA to Compare Online and Face to Face Teacher Preparation Programs. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 24(2), 153-186. Waynesville, NC USA: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education. Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/151826/.
© 2016 Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education
- Benton, T. (2009). Online learning: reaching out to the skeptics. The Chronicle of Higher Education, september 18, 2009.
- Brady, L. (2011). Teacher Values and relationship: factors in Values education. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 36(2). Retrieved from
- Haber, J. & Mills, M. (2008). Perceptions of barriers concerning effective online teaching and policies: florida community college faculty, Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 32(4-6), 266-283.
- Heafner, T.L., & Plaisance, M. (2014). Exploring synchronous text chat in remotely-delivered early field experiences. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 25(3), 327-352.
- Heafner, T. & Plaisance, M. (2012). Shared viewing as an approach to transforming early field experiences. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 12(4), 423-437.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.