Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This study examined the relationship between TPACK scores of lesson plans (external scores) developed by 150 pre-service special education teachers and TPACK scores of self-reflections (self-scores) about teaching these lessons. The TPACK Levels Rubric (Lyublinskaya & Tournaki, 2012) was used to assess both types of TPACK. Results indicated that a) both, self and external TPACK scores significantly improved, and b) there was no significant difference between external and self TPACK scores for each lesson plan. In order to examine relationships between self and external scores, the participants were divided into three groups: close-estimators (self and external scores are within one standard deviation), over- and under-estimators (self scores are respectively higher or lower than external by more than a standard deviation) Correlational analysis conducted on self and external scores of TPACK revealed significant moderate to strong positive correlation between self and external scores.
Lyublinskaya, I. & Tournaki, N. (2015). Examining the Relationship between Self and External Assessment of TPACK of Pre-Service Special Education Teachers. In D. Rutledge & D. Slykhuis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2015--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3331-3337). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150462/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Britten, J.S., & Cassady, J.C. (2005). The Technology Integration Assessment Instrument: Understanding planned use of technology by classroom teachers. Computers in the Schools, 22, 49-61.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Ertmer, P.A., Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A.T., Salik, O., Sendurur, E., & Sendurur, P. (2012). Teacher beliefs and technology integration practices: A critical relationship. Computers in Education, 59(2), 423-435.
- Garbett, D. (2003). Science education in early childhood teacher education: Putting forward a case to enhance student teachers' confidence and competence. Research in Science Education, 33(4), 467-481.
- Goldenberg, P. (2000). Thinking (and talking) about technology in math classrooms. In Issues in Mathematics Education. Education Development Center, Inc. Retrieved from: http://www2.edc.org/mcc/pdf/iss_tech.pdf. Groth, R.E., Spickler, D., Bergner, J., & Bardzell, M. (2009). A qualitative approach to assessing Technological, Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(4), 392-411.
- Harris, J., Grandgenett, N., & Hofer, M. (2010). Testing a TPACK-based technology integration assessment rubric. In D. Gibson& B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3833-3840). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Kind, V. (2009). A conflict in your head: An exploration of trainee science teachers’ subject matter knowledge development and its impact on teacher self‐confidence. International Journal of Science Education, 31(11), 1529-1562.
- Koehler, M., Mishra, P., & Yahya, K. (2007). Tracing the development of teacher knowledge in a design seminar: Integrating content, pedagogy and technology. Computers and Education, 49(3), 740-762.
- Lawless, K.A., & Pellegrino, J.W. (2007). Professional development in integrating technology into teaching and learning: Knowns, unknowns, and ways to pursue better questions and answers. Review of Educational Research, 77(4), 575-614.
- Lyublinskaya, I., Tournaki, N. (2014). A Study of special education teachers’ TPACK development in mathematics and science through assessment of lesson plans. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 22(4), 449-470.
- Lyublinskaya, I. & Tournaki, N. (2014). Preparing Special Education Teachers for Teaching Mathematics and Science with Technology by Integrating the TPACK Framework into the Curriculum: A Study of Teachers’ Surveys and Lesson Plans. In M. Searson& M. Ochoa (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2014 (pp. 2574-2579). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Lyublinksaya, I., & Tournaki, N. (2012). The effects of teacher content authoring on TPACK and on student achievement in algebra: Research on institution with the TI-Nspire handheld. In R.N. Ronau, C.R. Rakes, & M.L. Niess (Eds.), Educational Technology, Teacher Knowledge, and Classroom Impact: A Research Handbook on Frameworks and Approaches (295-322). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Mishra, P. & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological, pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Murphy, C., Neil, P., & Beggs, J. (2007). Primary science teacher confidence revisited: Ten years on. Educational Research, 49(4), 415-430. Niess, M.L., Ronau, R.N., Shafer, K.G., Driskell, S.O., Harper, S.R., Johnston, C., Browning, C., Özgün-Koca, S.A., &
- Kersaint, G. (2009). Mathematics teacher TPACK standards and development model. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 4-24.
- Niess, M.L. (2011). Investigating TPACK: Knowledge growth in teaching with technology. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 44(3), 299-317.
- Rivera, M.A.J., Manning, M.M., Krupp, D.A. (2013). A unique marine and environmental science program for high school teachers in Hawai’i: Professional development, teacher confidence, and lessons learned. International Journal of Environmental Science Education, 8(2), 217-239.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 83-87.
- Stevens, J.P. (2002) Applied multivariate statistics for social sciences (4th ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum
- Tournaki, N. & Lyublinskaya, I. (2014). Preparing special education teachers for teaching mathematics and science with technology by integrating the TPACK framework into the curriculum: A study of teachers’ perceptions. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 22(2), 243-259.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.