CITE Journal Volume 15, Number 1, ISSN 1528-5804 Publisher: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education, Waynesville, NC USA
Since Mishra and Koehler’s (2006) description of technological pedagogical content knowledge (also known as TPACK), scholars have analyzed the various paths preservice and in-service teachers can take to develop their knowledge in each of the subdomains. However, the model of the overall framework can be confusing to teachers, as Venn diagrams are generally used for categorization. Furthermore, no representation of TPACK to date has presented a means to accurately reflect a teacher’s growth in knowledge over time. This paper proposes a visual and quantitative representation of TPACK that will help teachers better understand the TPACK framework and track their growth in the knowledge domains over time. A pilot study was conducted with 24 preservice science and mathematics teachers. Quantitative evidence indicated that an explanation of TPACK using a radar diagram was at least as effective as an explanation using a Venn diagram in terms of these students’ understanding of TPACK. Furthermore, the qualitative evidence supported the assertion that teachers would benefit from a way to track their growth in the essential knowledge areas encompassed by the framework.
Colvin, J.C. & Tomayko, M.C. (2015). Putting TPACK on the Radar: A Visual Quantitative Model for Tracking Growth of Essential Teacher Knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 15(1), 68-84. Waynesville, NC USA: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education. Retrieved February 20, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/147870/.
© 2015 Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers& Education, 52(1), 154-168.
- Archambault, L.M., & Barnett, J.H. (2010). Revisiting technological pedagogical content knowledge: Exploring the TPACK framework. Computers& Education, 55(4), 1656-1662.
- Canbazoglu Bilici, S., Yamak, H., Kavak, N., & Guzey, S.S. (2013). Technological pedagogical content knowledge self-efficacy scale (TPACK-SeS) for preservice science teachers: Construction, validation and reliability. Egitim Arastirmalari-Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 52, 37-60.
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.-C. (2010). Facilitating preservice teachers' development of technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK). Journal of Educational Technology& Society, 13(4), 63-73.
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.-C. (2011). Exploring the factor structure of the constructs of technological, pedagogical, content knowledge (TPACK). The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 20(3), 595-603.
- Colvin, J.C. (2014, April 14). TPACK 2.0 [YouTube video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCW4dJB81g
- Cox, S. (2008). A conceptual analysis of technological pedagogical content knowledge (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Brigham Young University, Provo, UT.
- Cox, S., & Graham, C.R. (2009). Diagramming TPACK in practice: Using an elaborated model of the TPACK framework to analyze and depict teacher knowledge. TechTrends, 53(5), 60-69.
- Kimmons, R. (2011, March 22). TPACK in 3 minutes [YouTube video]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wGpSaTzW58
- Koh, J.H.L., & Chai, C.S. (2011). Modeling pre-service teachers’ technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) perceptions: The influence of demographic factors and TPACK constructs. In G. Williams, P. Statham, N. Brown, B. Cleland (Eds.), Changing demands, changing directions: ascilite 2011 proceedings (pp. 735-746).
- Koh, J.H.L., Chai, C.S., & Tsai, C-C. (2013). Examining practicing teachers’ perceptions of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) pathways: A structural equation modeling approach. Instructional Science, 41(4), 793-809.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for integrating technology in teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123–149.
- Shinas, V.H., Yilmaz-Ozden, S., Mouza, C., Karchmer-Klein, R., & Glutting, J.J. (2013). Examining domains of technological pedagogical content knowledge using factor analysis. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(4), 339–360.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Strauss, A., & Corbin J. (1998). Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ming Tomayko, Towson University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2018 (Mar 26, 2018) pp. 2123–2127
TPACK Radar Diagrams - A Visual Quantitative Representation for Tracking Growth of Essential Teacher Knowledge
Julien Corven & Ming Tomayko, Towson University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2017 (Mar 05, 2017) pp. 2296–2301
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.