IJELLO Volume 7, Number 1, ISSN 1552-2237 Publisher: Informing Science Institute
Eleven graduate students, experienced mathematics teachers, participated in a semester long activity in which they collaboratively designed and developed lesson plans on a Media Wiki system. The described study examined the processes involved in this collaborative effort and its contribution to the development of mathematics teachers' community of practice. Data were collected through tracking each Wiki page written by the participants, their reflective journals, a questionnaire, semi-structured interviews, and researchers' notes of the whole class discussions. Evidently, the use of the Wiki system triggered a process of change, and the participants quickly evolved into a small and very Wiki-active community of practice. The results indicate that this teachers' community of practice was concerned with two major issues: social ones and technical ones. The social issues related to the teachers' consideration as to how to provide and receive feedback, as well as uncertainty about the possibility of losing the ownership over their creative work. The technical issues had to do with various difficulties participating teachers faced while writing in Wiki syntax.
Shriki, A. & Movshovitz-Hadar, N. (2011). [Chais] Nurturing a Community of Practice through a Collaborative Design of Lesson Plans on a Wiki System. Interdisciplinary Journal of E-Learning and Learning Objects, 7(1), 339-357. Informing Science Institute. Retrieved January 23, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/44748/.
- Arreguin, C. (2004). Wikis. In B. Hoffman (Ed.), Encyclopedia of educational technology. Retrieved from http://coe.sdsu.edu/EET/ Barab, S.A., Makinster, J.G., Moore, J.A., Cunningham, D.J., & The ILF Design Team (2001). Designing and building an on-line community: The struggle to support sociability in the inquiry learning forum. Educational Technology, Research and Development, 49(4), 71-96.
- Borko, H. (2004). Professional development and teacher learning: mapping the terrain. Educational Researcher, 33(8), 3-15.
- Bruns, A., & Humphreys, S. (2005), Wikis in Teaching and Assessment: The M/Cyclopedia Project. Retrieved from http://snurb.info/files/Wikis%20in%20Teaching%20and%20Assessment.pdf Burbank, M.D., & Kauchak, D. (2003). An alternative model for professional development: Investigations into effective collaboration. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19(5), 499-514.
- Caracelli, V.J., & Greene, J.C. (1997). Crafting mixed-method evaluation design. In J.C. Greene& V.J. Caracelli (Eds.), Advances in mixed-method evaluation: The challenges and benefits of integrating diverse paradigms (pp. 19-32). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Carroll, J.M., Choo, C.W., Dunlap, D.R., Isenhour, P.L., Kerr, S.T., MacLean, A., & Rosson, M.B. (2003). Knowledge management support for teachers. Educational Technology, Research and Development, 51(4), 42-64.
- Coakes, E., & Smith, P.A. (2007). Supporting innovation: Communities of practice and change. Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 8(SI1). Retrieved from http://www.tlainc.com/articlsi3.htm
- Cohen, D. (2009). The Impact of wiki-based collaborative environment on mathematical dialogue. Proceedings of the 4th Chais Conference for the Study of Educational Technologies. The Open University, Raanana, Israel, 64-69. (in Hebrew)
- Curry, P., Sherry, R., & Tunney, O. (2003). What transferable skills do employers look for in third-level graduates? Results of Employer Survey. Dublin: Transferable Skills Project.
- Da Lio, E., Fraboni, L., & Leo, T. (2005). TWiki-based facilitation in a newly formed academic community of practice. Proceedings of the 2005 International Symposium on Wikis. San Diego, California, ACM Press. Retrieved from http://www.wikisym.org/ws2005/proceedings/paper-09.pdf
- Delgadillo, B. (2004). Wikis: Working their way into the Web. Retrieved from http://www.360doc.com/content/05/1206/12/1925_40614.shtml Department for Education (2011). The national strategies. Retrieved from http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/
- Duffy, P., & Burns, A. (2006). The use of blogs, wikis and RSS in education: A conversation of possibilities. Proceedings of the Online Learning and Teaching Conference, 2006. Brisbane. Retrieved from http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00005398/. Ebersbach, A., Glaser, M., & Heigl, R. (2006). Wiki: web collaboration. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Ebner, M., & Kickmeier-Rust, M. (2008). Utilizing Wiki systems in higher education classes: a chance for universal access? Universal Access in the Information Society, 7, 199-207.
- Elgort, I., Smith, A.G., & Toland, J. (2008). Is wiki an effective platform for group coursework? Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 24(2), 195-210.
- Eshet-Alkalai, Y. (2004). Digital literacy: A conceptual framework for survival skills in the digital era. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 13(1), 93-106.
- Foley. B. & Chang, T. (2006). Wiki as a professional development tool, Retrieved from http://www.csun.edu/~bfoley/AERA_Wiki.pdf Goeffrey, S. (2008). Using a wiki in a community of practice to strengthen K-12 education. TechTrends, 52(6), 55-60.
- Goetz, J.P., & LeCompte, M.D. (1984). Ethnography and qualitative design in educational research. Orlando, FL: Academic Press.
- Goodwin-Jones, B. (2003). Blogs and Wikis: Environments for on-line collaboration. Language, Learning& Technology, 7(2), 12-16.
- Herndon, C. (2006). Peer review and organizational learning: Improving the assessment of student learning. Research and Practice in Assessment, 1(1), 1-7.
- Hill, H.C., Rowan, B., & Ball, D. (2005). Effects of teachers’ mathematical knowledge for teaching on student achievement. American Educational Research Journal, 42(2), 371–406.
- Hislop, D. (2002). Mission impossible? Communicating and sharing knowledge via information technology. Journal of Information Technology, 17, 165–177.
- Horizon Report (2007). 2007 Horizon Report. Retrieved from http://www.nmc.org/publications Keig, L., & Waggoner, M.D. (1994). Collaborative peer review: Role of faculty in improving college teaching. Washington D.C.: ERIC-ASHE.
- Köhler, A., & Fuchs-Kittowski, F. (2005). Integration of communities into process-oriented structures. Journal of Universal Computer Science, 11(3), 410-425.
- Lave, J., & Wenger, E. (1991). Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Levin-Peled, R. & Kali, Y. (2008). Using wiki to support inquiry learning in higher education. Proceedings of the 3rd Chais Conference for the Study of Educational Technologies. The Open University, Raanana, Israel, 86-93. (in Hebrew)
- Levin-Peled, R., & Kali, Y. (2009). Using wiki to support peer instruction. Proceedings of the 4th Chais Conference for the Study of Educational Technologies. The Open University, Raanana, Israel, 87-94.
- Lund, A., & Smørdal, O. (2006). Is there space for the teacher in a wiki? Proceedings of the 2006 International Symposium on Wikis, Odense, Denmark. Retrieved from http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1149453.1149466 National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (2000). Principles and standards for school mathematics. Reston, VA: NCTM.
- Neuendorf, K.A. (2002). The content analysis guidebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Owen, M., Grant, L., Sayers, S., & Facer, K. (2006). Opening education: Social software and learning. Bristol: Futurelab. Retrieved from http://www.futurelab.org.uk/research Pass, Y. (2009). Goals for the 2009/10-2011/12 School Years. An official letter from the general director of the Israel ministry of education sent to all high school principals. Ministry of Education, Jerusalem, Israel, June 8, 2009.
- Rogers, R.K., & Threatt, D. (2000). Peer assistance and peer review. Thrust for Educational Leadership, 29(3), 14-16.
- Romberg, T.A. (1988). Can teachers be professionals? In D.A. Grouws, T.J. Cooney, & D. Jones (Eds.), Perspectives on research on effective mathematics teaching (pp. 224-244). Reston, VA: NCTM &
- Shulman, L.S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 56, 1-22.
- Tal, H., & Tal, E. (2006). Wiki-Maman: A collaborative assignment in a Wiki environment. Proceedings of the 1st Chais Conference for the Study of Educational Technologies. The Open University, Raanana, Israel, 43-54. (in Hebrew)
- Tal-Elhasid, E., & Meishar-Tal, H. (2007). Wikis in academic courses: Models of usage and collaboration. Proceedings of the 2nd Chais Conference for the Study of Educational Technologies. The Open University, Raanana, Israel, 127-136. (in Hebrew)
- Wenger, E. (1998). Communities of practice: Learning, meaning, and identity. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Wenger, E. (2001) Supporting communities of practice: A survey of community-oriented technologies. Report to the Council of CIOs of the US Federal Government. Retrieved from http://www.ewenger.com/tech/ Wheeler, S., Yeomans, P., & Wheeler, D. (2008). The good, the bad and the wiki: Evaluating studentsgenerated content for collaborative learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 39(6), 987995.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.