Use Cloud Resources as Collaborative Media for Teaching: Evaluation and Design
Leping Liu, University of Nevada, Reno, United States
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Denver, Colorado, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-95-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This article introduces the authors’ experiences to prepare pre-service an in-service teachers to use cloud resources as collaborative media in teaching. It summarizes a literature review of “cloud computing”, demonstrates some specific widely-used cloud tools for teaching and learning, and introduces the authors experiences in a technology integration method online course in which teacher education students (a) evaluated the quality of some cloud resources/tools, and (b) designed technology integration case project using the cloud tools as collaborative media in their teaching. Tips, cautions, and some common issues in using those cloud tools will be discussed. Quality analysis of the tools will be presented, as well as some design samples.
Liu, L. (2012). Use Cloud Resources as Collaborative Media for Teaching: Evaluation and Design. In T. Amiel & B. Wilson (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia 2012--World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (pp. 2171-2178). Denver, Colorado, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 23, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/41051/.
© 2012 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Behrend, T.S., Wiebe, E.N., London, J.E., & Johnson, E.C. (2011). Cloud computing adoption and usage in community colleges. Behaviour& Information Technology, 30(2), 231-240.
- Becker, B. (2011). Get your head in the clouds. Behavioral& Social Sciences Librarian, 30(1), 57-60.
- Bennett, J., & Pence, H.E. (2011). Managing laboratory data using cloud computing as an organizational tool. Journal Of Chemical Education, 88(6), 761-763.
- Bowers, L. (2011). Cloud computing efficiency. Applied Clinical Trials, 20(7), 45-51.
- Carstarphen, M. (2011). Ensure technology access for all students. Phi Delta Kappan, 93(1), 15.
- Cordell, R. (2011). New technologies to get your students engaged. Chronicle Of Higher Education, 57(36), B8-B10.
- Dessoff, A. (2009). A netbook for every student. District Administration, 45(6), 47-50.
- Escalante, D., & Korty, A.J. (2011). Cloud services: policy and assessment. Educause Review, 46(4), 4.
- Fox, A. (2011). Cloud computing--what's in it for me as a scientist?. Science, 331(6016), 406-407.
- Han, Y. (2011). Cloud computing: case studies and total costs of ownership. Information Technology& Libraries, 30(4), 198-206.
- Harris, J., & Nunn, S. (2010). Cloud Computing's Great Promise retrived from Forbes.com, June 30, 2010.
- Katz, R.N. (2010). Looking at clouds from all sides now. Educause Review, 45(3), 32-44.
- Knorr, E., & Gruman, G. (2011). What Cloud Computing Really Means. Retrieved December 15, 2011 from: InfoWorld, bttpV/ www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/what-cloud-computing-really-means031?page=0,0.
- Kshetri, N. (2010). Cloud computing in developing economies. Computer, 43(10), 47-55.
- Liu, L. (2005). Evaluating online learning applications: Development of quality-related models. International Journal of Information and Communications Technology Education, 1(3), 21-35.
- Liu, L., & Henderson, N.J. (2003). An information technology integration system and its lifecycle: What is missing? Computers in the Schools, 20 (1/2), P. 93-106.
- Liu, L., & Johnson, D.L. (2005). Web-based resources and applications: Quality and influence. Computers in the Schools, 21(3-4), 131-147.
- Li, Q., Hao, Q., Xiao, L., & Li, Z. (2011). An integrated approach to automatic management of virtualized resources in cloud environments. Computer Journal, 54(6), 905-919.
- Lohr, S. (2007, October 8). Google and I.B.M. Join in 'cloud computing' research. New York Times. P. 8.
- Maddux, C.D., & Johnson, D. (2010, July). Global trends and issues in information technology in education. Computers in the Schools. Pp. 145-154.
- Mossberg, W.S. (2010, May 6). Learning about everything under the 'cloud'. Wall Street Journal-Eastern Edition. P. D1.
- Metros, S.E. (2010). Faculty voices and it partners: a thousand points of know. Educause Review, 45(1), 5455.
- Noor, A.K. (2011). Intelligent adaptive cyber-physical ecosystem for aerospace engineering education, training, and accelerated workforce development. Journal Of Aerospace Engineering, 24(4), 403408.
- Oatway, D.M. (2011). Focus on technology: is your future cloudy?. Long-Term Living: For The Continuing Care Professional, 60(8), 50-51.
- Ovadia, S. (2010). Navigating the challenges of the cloud. Behavioral& Social Sciences Librarian, 29(3), 233-236.
- Quillen, I. (2011). New technology may offer fresh vistas for savings and for educational benefits. Education Week, 30(16), 20-22.
- Russell, J. (2009). "Next-gen Cloud-based eClinical: Timaeus Speeds SetUp, Cuts Costs, Delivers Flexibility," Cambridge Healthtech Media Group Custom Publishing
- Scale, M.E. (2010). Assessing the impact of cloud computing and web collaboration on the work of distance library services. Journal of Library Administration, 50, 933-950.
- Schuster, E.W., Lee, H., Ehsani, R., Allen, S.J., & Steven Rogers, J.J. (2011). Machine-to-machine communication for agricultural systems: An XML-based auxiliary language to enhance semantic interoperability. Computers& Electronics In Agriculture, 78(2), 150-161.
- Smith, P.L., & Ragan, T.J. (2005). Instructional Design. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Publishing.
- Stein, S., & Schaffer, H. (2010). Cloud with a long tail: the VCL in support of pedagogy. Educause Review, 45(3), 10-11.
- Stevenson, M., & Hedberg, J.G. (2011). Head in the clouds: a review of current and future potential for cloud-enabled pedagogies. Educational Media International, 48(4), 321-333.
- Stuart, R. (2010). Innovative intelligence. Diverse: Issues In Higher Education, 27(3), 4.
- Taylor, M.M., Haggerty, J.J., Gresty, D.D., & Hegarty, R.R. (2010). Digital evidence in cloud computing systems. Computer Law& Security Review, 26(3), 304-308.
- Wang, L., Laszewski, G., Young, A., Xi, H., Kunze, M., Jie, T., & Cheng, F. (2010). Cloud computing: a perspective study. New Generation Computing, 28(2), 137-146.
- Vaquero, L.M. (2011). EduCloud: PaaS versus IaaS cloud usage for an advanced computer science course. IEEE Transactions On Education, 54(4), 590-598.
- Waters, J.K. (2011). Move it or lose it: cloud-based data storage. Education Digest, 76(8), 28-34.
- Yan, H. (2010). On the clouds: a new way of computing. Information Technology& Libraries, 29(2), 87-92.
- Young, J.R. (2011). Colleges unite to drive down cost of 'cloud computing'. Chronicle Of Higher Education, 58(9), A24. (cid:1)
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.