Evolution of Scientific Collaboration Communities in the AACE
Gonzalo Méndez, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Denver, Colorado, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-95-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This paper investigates the evolving co-authorship networks generated by the scientific production of EdMedia, SITE and E-Learn, three world conferences promoted by the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). The studied data corresponds to measurements made over the scientific papers submitted to these conferences from 1999 to 2011. The conducted analysis is based on cumulative co-authorship networks and presents several statistics about the most relevant temporal evolving characteristics phenomena exhibited by these three scientific collaboration communities. The dynamics and activity of these networks, as well as their morphology and connectivity, are observed to provide meaningful interpretations of the measurements found in the context of a collaboration network of researchers.
Méndez, G. (2012). Evolution of Scientific Collaboration Communities in the AACE. In T. Amiel & B. Wilson (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia 2012--World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (pp. 721-730). Denver, Colorado, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 23, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/40824/.
© 2012 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Dorogovtsev, S.N., & Mendes, J.F.F. (2003). Evolution of networks: from biological nets to the Internet and WWW. Oxford University Press.
- Albert, R., & Barabási, A.-L. (2002). Statistical mechanics of complex networks. Reviews of Modern Physics, 74(1), 47-97.
- Newman, M.E.J., Strogatz, S.H., & Watts, D.J. (2001). Random graphs with arbitrary degree distributions and their applications. Physical Review E, 64(2), 026118.
- Newman, M.E.J. (2001). Scientific collaboration networks. II. Shortest paths, weighted networks, and centrality. Physical Review E, 64(1), 016132.
- Newman, M.E.J. (2004). Coauthorship networks and patterns of scientific collaboration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 101(suppl_1), 5200-5205.
- Perc, M. (2010). Growth and structure of Slovenia ’ s scientific collaboration network. ArXiv:1004.4824.
- Ochoa, X., Méndez, G., & Duval, E. (2009). Who We Are: Analysis of 10 Years of the ED-MEDIA Conference. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2009, 2009(1), 189-200.
- AACE (2012)-Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education. [Online] http://www.aace.org
- EdITLib (2012)-Digital Library for Education& Information Technology. [Online] http://editlib.org
- Ristad, E.S., & Yianilos, P.N. (1998). Learning string-edit distance. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 20(5), 522-532.
- Kleinberg, J. (2000). The small-world phenomenon: an algorithm perspective. Proceedings of the thirty-second annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing, STOC ’ 00 (pp. 163 – 170). New York, NY, USA: ACM.
- Watts, D.J., & Strogatz, S.H. (1998). Collective dynamics of‘ small-world ’ networks. Nature, 393(6684), 440442.
- Barabási, A.L., Jeong, H., Neda, Z., Ravasz, E., Schubert, A., & Vicsek, T. (2001). Evolution of the social network of scientific collaborations.
- Kretschmer, H. (2004). Author productivity and geodesic distance in bibliographic co-authorship networks, and visibility on the Web. Scientometrics, 60(3), 409 – 420.
- Fisichella, M., Herder, E., Marenzi, I., & Nejdl, W. (2010). Who are you working with? Visualizing TEL Research Communities. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2010, 2010(1), 283 – 292.
- Watanabe, T., Villavicencio, P., & Wang, W. (2011). Semantic Analysis of Reference Relationships among Cited Papers. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2011, 2011(1), 1244 – 1253.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EdMedia2012_ggmendez_2012Jun14.pptx (Access with Subscription)