Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Austin, Texas, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-92-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
In 2010, the authors developed, tested, and released a reliable and valid instrument that can be used to assess the quality of inexperienced teachers’ TPACK by examining their detailed written lesson plans. In the current study, the same instrument was tested to see if it could be used to assess the TPACK evident in experienced teachers’ planning in the form of spoken responses to semi-structured interview questions. Interrater reliability (.870) was computed using both Intraclass Correlation and a score agreement procedure (93.6%). Internal consistency (using Cronbach’s Alpha) was .895. Test-retest reliability (score agreement) was 100%. Taken together, these results demonstrate that the rubric is robust when used to analyze experienced teachers’ descriptions of lessons or projects offered in response to the interview questions that appear in the Appendix.
Harris, J., Grandgenett, N. & Hofer, M. (2012). Using Structured Interviews to Assess Experienced Teachers’ TPACK. In P. Resta (Ed.), Proceedings of SITE 2012--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 4696-4703). Austin, Texas, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/40351/.
© 2012 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Abbitt, J. (2011). Measuring technological pedagogical content knowledge in preservice teacher education: A review of current methods and instruments. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 43(4), 281–300.
- Allen, M.J. & Yen, W.M. (2002). Introduction to measurement theory. Long Grove, IL: Waveland Press.
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers and Education, 52(1), 154-168.
- Archambault, L., & Crippen, K. (2009). Examining TPACK among K-12 online distance educators in the United States. Contemporary Issues in
- Britten, J.S., & Cassady, J.C. (2005). The Technology Integration Assessment Instrument: Understanding planned use of technology by classroom teachers. Computers in the Schools, 22(3), 49-61.
- Burgoyne, N., Graham, C.R. & Sudweeks, R. (2010). The validation of an instrument measuring TPACK. In D. Gibson& B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3787-3794). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/33971
- Chuang, H-H, & Ho, C-J. (2011). An investigation of early childhood teachers’ Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) in
- Cronbach, L.J., Gleser, G.C., Nanda, H., & Rajaratnam, N. (1972). The dependability of behavioral measurements: Theory of generalizability of scores and profiles. New York: Wiley.
- Field, A.P. (2005). Intraclass correlation. In Everitt, B.S. & Howell, D.C. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of statistics in the behavioral sciences (pp. 1296-1305). Chichester, England: Wiley.
- Figg, C. & Jaipal, K. (2011). Developing a survey from a taxonomy of characteristics for TK, TCK, and TPK to assess teacher candidates’ knowledge of teaching with technology. In M. Koehler& P. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2011 (pp. 4330-4339). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved from
- Griffin, D., & Gonzalez, R. (1995). Correlational analysis of dyad-level data in the exchangeable case. Psychological Bulletin, 118, 430-439.
- Gronlund, N.E. (1985). Measurement and evaluation in teaching (5th ed.), New York: McMillian.
- Groth, R., Spickler, D., Bergner, J., & Bardzell, M. (2009). A qualitative approach to assessing technological pedagogical content knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(4). Retrieved December 5, 2009, from http://www.citejournal.org/vol9/iss4/mathematics/article1.cfm
- Hammond, T.C., Alexander, R.C., & Bodzin, A.M. (2012). Assessment in authentic environments: Designing instruments and reporting results from classroom-based TPACK research. In R.N. Ronau, C.R. Rakes, & M.L. Niess (Eds.), Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches (pp. 32-57). Doi:
- Hofer, M., Grandgenett, N., Harris, J., & Swan, K. (2011). Testing a TPACK-based technology integration observation instrument. In C.D. Maddux (Ed.), Research highlights in technology and teacher education 2011 (pp. 39-46). Chesapeake, VA:
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2008). Introducing TPACK. In AACTE Committee on Innovation& Technology (Eds.). Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge for educators (pp. 3-29). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2005). Teachers learning technology by design. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 21(3), 94-102.
- Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P., & Yahya, K. (2007). Tracing the development of teacher knowledge in a design seminar: Integrating content, pedagogy, & Technology. Computers& Education, 49(3), 740-762.
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2012). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. In R.N. Ronau, C.R. Rakes, & M.L. Niess (Eds.), Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches (pp. 16-31).
- Koh, J.H.L., & Divaharan, S. (2011). Developing pre-service teachers' technology integration expertise through the TPACKDeveloping Instructional Model. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 44(1), 35-58. Doi: 10.2190/EC.44.1.c
- Landry, G.A. (2010). Creating and validating an instrument to measure middle school mathematics teachers’ Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) (Doctoral dissertation, University of Tennessee-Knoxville). Retrieved from http://trace.tennessee.edu/utk_graddiss/720
- Lee, M.H. & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Exploring teachers’ perceived self-efficacy and technological pedagogical content knowledge with respect to educational use of the WorldWide Web. Instructional Science, 38(1), 1-21. Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/d510480505435104/
- Leinhardt, G. (1993). On teaching. In R. Glaser (Ed.), Advances in instructional psychology (Vol. 4, pp. 1-54). Hillsdale, NJ:
- Livingston, C., & Borko, H. (1990). High school mathematics review lessons: Expert-novice distinctions. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 21(5), 372-387.
- Lux, N.J. (2010). Assessing Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertation and Theses. (AAT 3430401)
- McGraw, K.O., & Wong, S.P. (1996). Forming inferences about some intraclass correlation coefficients, Psychological Methods, 1 (1), 30-46.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record. 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Moskal, B.M., & Leydens, J.A. (2000). Scoring rubric development: Validity and reliability. Practical Assessment, Research& Evaluation, 7, 71-81.
- Mouza, C. (2011). Promoting urban teachers’ understanding of technology, content, and pedagogy in the context of case development. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 44(1), 1–29.
- Mouza, C. & Wong, W. (2009). Studying classroom practice: Case development for professional learning in technology integration. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 17(2), 175-202. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/26963
- Sahin, I. (2011). Development of survey of Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK). Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 10(1), 97-105.
- Yurdakul, I.K., Odabasi, H.F., Kilicer, K., Coklar, A.N., Birinci, G., & Kurt, A.A. (2012). The development, validity and reliability of TPACK-deep: A technological pedagogical content knowledge scale. Computers& Education 58(3), 964–977. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2011.10.012
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daniel Mourlam, University of South Dakota, United States
Journal of Technology and Teacher Education Vol. 25, No. 3 (July 2017) pp. 301–325
Michael Phillips, Monash University, Australia; Matthew Koehler & Joshua Rosenberg, Michigan State University, United States; Benjamin Zunica, Monash University, Australia
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2017 (Mar 05, 2017) pp. 2422–2429
Developing Content Methods Faculty and Teacher Candidate Technological, Pedagogical, Content Knowledge through Faculty Development: Exploration of a Design-Based Approach
Daniel Mourlam, University of South Dakota, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2016 (Mar 21, 2016) pp. 2976–2983
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.