Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Austin, Texas, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-92-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This paper describes the historical, practical, and theoretical underpinnings behind an essential component of teacher preparation, the field experience. It explores the theory of situated cognition as it applies to online teaching and learning which advances the notion that learning requires a contextualized, authentic setting with the participant engaged in direct interaction and reflection (Brown, Collins & Duguid, 1989). Discussed is the basis for the development of field experiences in K-12 virtual schools. Various models that have emerged to address the need for teacher preparation within K-12 online settings are described, and implications for teacher education programs are also addressed.
Archambault, L. & Kennedy, K. (2012). Situated Online: Theoretical Underpinnings of Field Experiences in Virtual School Settings. In P. Resta (Ed.), Proceedings of SITE 2012--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3816-3823). Austin, Texas, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 16, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/40199/.
© 2012 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Aiken, I.P., & Day, B.D. (1999). Early field experiences in preservice teacher education: Research and student perspectives. Action in Teacher Education, 21(3), 7-12.
- Alabama State Board of Education. (2008). Alabama Administrative Code (AAC) Rule 290-3-1-.02(12) for Online Courses. Retrieved from http://www.adph.org/tpts/assets/schoolpolicy.pdf
- Allen, D.W., & Eve, A.W. (1968). Microteaching. Theory into Practice, 7(5), 181-185.
- Author A. (2010). _____.
- Author B. (2011). _____.
- Author B & Author A. (2011). _____.
- Ballantyne, R., & Hansford, B. (1995). Mentoring beginning teachers: A qualitative analysis of process and outcomes. Educational Review, 47(3), 297-308.
- Beijaard, D., Verloop, N., & Vermunt, J.D. (2000). Teachers’ perceptions of professional identity: An exploratory study from a personal knowledge perspective. Teacher and Teacher Education, 16(7), 749-764.
- Borrowman, M. (1956). The liberal and technical in teacher education. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Brown, J., Collins, A. & Duguid, P. (1989). Situated Cognition and the Culture of Learning, Educational Researcher, 18, 32-42.
- Buck, G., Morsink, C., Griffin, C, Hines, T., & Lenk, L. (1992). Preservice training: The role of field-based experiences in the preparation of effective special educators. Teacher Education and Special Education, 15(2), 108123.
- Cattley, G. (2007). Emergence of professional identity for the preservice teacher. International Education Journal, 8(2), 337-347.
- Compton, L., Davis, N.E., & Mackey, J. (2009). Field experience in virtual schooling-To be there virtually. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 17(4), 459-477.
- Connecticut State Board of Education. (2010). Senate Bill No. 438 Public Act No. 10-111: An Act concerning education reform in Connecticut. Retrieved from www.cga.ct.gov/2010/ACT/Pa/pdf/2010PA-00111-R00SB-00438PA.pdf
- Davis, N.E., Roblyer, M.D., Charania, A., Ferdig, R.E., Harms, C., Compton, L., & Cho, M. (2007). Illustrating the “virtual” in virtual schooling: Challenges and strategies for creating real tools to prepare virtual teachers. The Internet and Higher Education, 10(1), 27-39.
- Florida Senate. (2011). H.B. 7197. Retrieved from http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/7197
- Gardner, H., & Henry, M.A. (1968). Designing effective internships in teacher education. Journal of Teacher Education, 19(2), 177-186.
- Harlin, R.P. (1999). Developing future professionals: Influences of literacy coursework and field experiences. Reading Research and Instruction, 38(4), 351-370.
- Hatton, N., & Smith, D. (1995). Reflection in teacher education: Towards definition and implementation. Teaching and Teacher Education, 11(1), 33-49.
- Joyce, B., Yarger, S.J., Howey, K., Harbeck, K., & Kluwin, T. (1977). Reflection on preservice education: Impressions from the national survey. Journal of Teacher Education, 28(5), 14-37.
- Koehler, M.J. & Mishra, P. (2005). What happens when teachers design educational technology? The development of technological pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 32(2), 131-152.
- Koran, M.L., Snow, R.E., & McDonald, F.J. (1971). Teacher aptitude and observational learning of a teaching skill. Journal of Educational Psychology, 62(3), 219-228.
- NCATE. (2002). Professional standards for the accreditation of schools, colleges, and departments of education. Washington, D.C.
- National Education Association. (2006). NEA Guide to Teaching Online Courses. Retrieved from http://www.nea.org/home/30103.htm
- Shulman, L. (1986). Paradigms and research programs in the study of teaching: A contemporary perspective. In M.C. Wittrock (Ed.), Handbook of research on teaching (3rd ed., pp. 3-36). New York: MacMillan.
- Southern Regional Educational Board. (2006). SREB essential principles of high-quality online teaching: Guidelines for evaluating K-12 online teachers. Retrieved from http://www.sreb.org/programs/edtech/pubs/PDF/Essential_Principles.pdf
- Teacher Education Accreditation Council. (2010). Goals and Principles. Retrieved from http://www.teac.org/accreditation/goals-principles/
- Walkington, J. (2005). Becoming a teacher: Encouraging development of teacher identity through reflective practice. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 33(1), 53-64.
- Watson, J., Murin, A., Vashaw, L., Gemin, B., & Rapp, C. (2010). Keeping Pace with K–12 Online Learning: An Annual Review of Policy and Practice. Evergreen, CO: Evergreen Education Group.
- Wiggins, R.A., Follo, E.J., & Eberly, M.B. (2007). The impact of a field immersion program on preservice teachers’ attitudes toward teaching in culturally diverse classrooms. Teaching and Teacher Education, 23(5), 653663.
- Zeichner, K.M. (1984). The ecology of field experience: Toward an understanding of the role of field experiences in teacher development. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Teacher Educators, New Orleans.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.