Polyglot Cubed: a Multidisciplinary Listening Comprehension and Recognition Tool PROCEEDINGS
Lindsay Grace, Martha Castaneda, Miami University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Nashville, Tennessee, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-84-6 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Polyglot Cubed is a language learning game designed to improve listening comprehension of unfamiliar vocabulary. As a system for the acquisition of Mandarin Chinese vocabulary, the game system has received international kudos. For educators, the application offers much more than previously documented. The game functions as a tool for the acquisition of various types of listened information, including music, other languages and specialized vocabulary. This game is worth the attention of a variety of educators that are interested in inspiring self-lead education among their students and themselves. This paper provides prototypical alternative uses for the Polyglot Cubed game in specific learning objectives.
Grace, L. & Castaneda, M. (2011). Polyglot Cubed: a Multidisciplinary Listening Comprehension and Recognition Tool. In M. Koehler & P. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2011--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3219-3223). Nashville, Tennessee, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 19, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/36813/.
© 2011 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- International Conference in Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology (2009). 5th International Conference (ACE), October 29-31, 2009, Athens, Greece, pages 421-422. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Gaither, D. And Luckhardt Redfield, C. (2006). Survey of electronic games that teach. In Crawford, C.M., Carlsen, R., McFerrin, K., Price, J., Weber, R., and Willis, D.A., editors, Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education (SITE), 17th International Conference, March 20-24, 2006, Orlando, FL, USA, pages 1367–1371.
- DevLearn (2009). San Jose, California, November 10-13, 2009 < http://www.elearningguild.com/content.cfm?selection=doc.1269>
- Meaningful Play Conference Proceedings (2008), Online proceedings, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA Octover 8-11, 2008 < http://meaningfulplay.msu.edu/2008/ >
- Polyglot Cubed (2008). 2008. 11. Nov. 2011 < http://www.polyglotgame.com >
- Terrell, T. (1986). Recent trends in research and practice: Teaching Spanish. Hispania, 68, 193-202.
- Tinkham, T. (1997). The effects of semantic and thematic clustering on the learning of second language vocabulary. Second Language Research, 13, 138-163.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- presentation_3045_33150.ppt (Access with Subscription)