EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Toronto, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-81-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This paper recounts and unpacks the two and one half year history of the continuing efforts of a student-initiated, student-led research group at a major university in the Middle US. Begun with a post to a listserv, the Language Learning & Technology, Research and Design Group’s membership expanded from 3 to 10 and has provided its participants with a range of experiences centered on a particular research project. Members include incoming master’s students to with no research experience, prospective Educational Technology students, PhD candidates, and computer science interns. We describe our experience in a way that might provide insight to fellow Educational Technology students interested in starting, growing, and maintaining a student-led, affinity-based research and design group. We explain why we felt starting a group was necessary, how we kept the group going, and what we are getting out of the experience.
Huang, C.K., Chen, Y.H., Olmanson, J., Sung, W.H. & Kim, Y.S. (2010). On Initiating Maintaining and Growing an Affinity Based Student Led Research and Design Group. In J. Herrington & C. Montgomerie (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2010--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 3747-3752). Toronto, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved December 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/35183/.
© 2010 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Akerlind, S.G. (2005). Academic growth and development—How do university academics experience it? Higher Education 50(1), 1-32.
- Barab, S.A., Thomas, M.K., Dodge, T., Squire, K., & Newell, M. (2004). Critical design ethnography: Designing for change. Other. Retrieved February 6, 2008, from http://www.anthrosource.net/doi/abs/
- Campbell, K., Schwier, R., & Kenny, R. (2009). The critical, relational practice of instructional design in higher education: an emerging model of change agency. Educational Technology Research& Development, 57(5), 645-663.
- Gates, A., Roach, S., Villa, E., Kephart, K., Della-Piana, C., & Della-Piana, G. (2008). The affinity research group model:
- Stahl, G. (2005). Group cognition in computer-assisted collaborative learning. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 21(2), 79-90.
- Streeck J. & Mehus S. (2003). Microethnography: the study of practices. In Handbook of Language and Social Interaction (ed. K.F.R. Sanders). Mahway, NJ, Erlbaum Associates.
- Tracey, W.M. (2009). Design and development research: a model validation case. Educational Technology Research& Development, 57(4), 553-571.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
Olga Kozar & Juliet Lum, Macquarie University
ASCILITE - Australian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education Annual Conference 2013 (2013) pp. 498–502
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.