Wiki Experience in a Statistics Classroom: A Case Study PROCEEDINGS
Umawathy Techanamurthy, Kolej Komuniti Selayang, Kementerian Pengajian Tinggi Malaysia, Malaysia ; Baharom Mohamad, Mohamad Hisyam Mohd. Hashim, University Hussein Onn Malaysia, Malaysia
Global Learn, in Penang, Malaysia ISBN 978-1-880094-79-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
Although numerous advantages of using Wikis in enabling collaboration has been reported, little is known about the likelihood of Wiki success amongst Malaysian postgraduates as it has not been investigated sufficiently.This qualitative case study was conducted to explore and understand the experience of writing documents collaboratively in a Wiki environment in a Master’s level Statistics course where participants completed a wiki based group assignment.It was found that the potential educational benefits of wikis have not been fully exploited because of limited participation as students faced problems when using the Wiki which de-motivated them and made them resort to working with easier ways they were more familiar with to complete their assignment. However,students found wikis useful for sharing knowledge during peer editing.
Techanamurthy, U., Mohamad, B. & Mohd. Hashim, M.H. (2010). Wiki Experience in a Statistics Classroom: A Case Study. In Z. Abas, I. Jung & J. Luca (Eds.), Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010--Global Conference on Learning and Technology (pp. 374-384). Penang, Malaysia: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved August 19, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/34201/.
© 2010 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Ben-Zvi, D. (2007). “ Using Wiki to Promote Collaborative Learning in Statistics Education” , Technology Innovations in Statistics Education: 1(1), Article 4. Retrieved November 5, 2007, from http://repositories.cdlib.org/uclastat/cts/tise/vol1/iss1/art4
- Brennan, R., McFadden, M., & Law, E. (2001). “ Review of research. All that glitters is not gold: online delivery of education and training”. Leabrook: National Centre for Vocational Education Research. Retrieved October 19, 2007, from http://www.ncver.edu.au/research/proj/nr9008.pdf
- Callahan, S. (2006). Why people don't use collaboration tools. Retrieved September 6, 2007, from http://www.anecdote.com.au/archives/2006/09/why_people_dont.html
- Elgort, I. (2007). “ Using wikis as a learning tool in higher education”. ICT: Providing choices for learners and learning. Proceedings ascilite Singapore 2007. Retrieved September 6, 2008 from http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/singapore07/procs/elgort.pdf
- Fountain, R. (2005). “ Evaluation tools”. Dossiers technopédagogiques. Retrieved September 6, 2008 from http://www.profetic.org/dossiers/article.php3?id_article=973#nb3
- Godwin-Jones, R. (2003). “ Blogs and Wikis: Environments for On-line Collaboration”. Journal of Language Learning& Technology, 7(2). 12-16. Retrieved August 29, 2007 from http://llt.msu.edu/vol7num2/pdf/emerging.pdf
- Frydenberg, M. (2008). “ Wikis as a Tool for Collaborative Course Management”. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching. 4(2), June 2008 Retrieved September 7, 2007 from http://jolt.merlot.org/vol4no2/frydenberg0608.htm
- Hester, A.J. And Scott, J.E.(2008). A Conceptual Model of Wiki Technology Diffusion Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Proceedings of the 41st Annual Volume, Issue, 7-10 Jan. 2008 Page(s):32-32 Digital Object Identifier10.1109/HICSS.2008.10
- Korfiatis, N.T., Poulos, M. And Bokos, G. (2006). “ Evaluating authoritative sources using social networks: an insight from Wikipedia”. Journal of Online Information Review, 30(3) pp. 252-262
- Lamb, B. (2004). “ Wide Open Spaces: Wikis, Ready or Not”. EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 39, no. 5 (September/October 2004): 36– 48. Retrieved September 7, 2007 from http://connect.educause.edu/Library/EDUCAUSE+Review/WideOpenSpacesWikisReadyo/40498
- McKiernan, G. (2005). “ Wikis: Disruptive technologies for dynamic Possibilities”. [Powerpoint presentation]. Retrieved September 2, 2007 from http://www.ticer.nl/05carte/ Retrieval date: 2 September 2007
- Moore, G.C., and Benbasat, I. (1991). Development of an Instrument to Measure the Perceptions of Adopting an Information Technology Innovation. Information System Research, 2(3), 192 – 222
- Nanayakkara, C. (2004). “ Model of User Acceptance of Learning Management Systems: a study within Tertiary Institution in New Zealand” (2) The International Journal of Learning, Volume 13, Issue 12, pp.223-232.
- Pearce, J. (2007). “ What is a Wiki? ”. Retrieved December 19, 2007 from http://www.scienceofspectroscopy.info/edit/index.php?title=Using_wiki_in_education
- Robertson, I. (2008). “ Learners' attitudes to wiki technology in problem based, blended learning for vocational teacher education”. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 24(4), 425-441.
- Saad, S.(2005). “ Open Source Updates in Malaysia”. MIMOS Berhad, 6th Asia OSS Symposium Activities. Retrieved July 15, 2008 from www.asia-oss.org/sep2005/materials/economies/Malaysia_Sep6_1200.pdf
- Schaffert, S., Bischof, D., Buerger, T., Gruber, A., Hilzensauer, W. & Schaffert, S. (2006). Learning with semantic wikis. Proceedings of the First Workshop on Semantic Wikis– From Wiki To Semantics (SemWiki2006), Budva, Montenegro: June 11-14, 109-123. Retrieved November 12, 2007 from http://www.wastl.net/download/paper/Schaffert06_SemWikiLearning.pdf
- Wiebrands, C. (2006) Collaboration and communication via wiki: The experience of Curtin University Library and Information Service. In Proceedings Australian Library and Information Association 2006 Biennial Conference, Perth (Australia). Retrieved October 3, 2007 from http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00007481/
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.