Simulation: Gaming and Beyond PROCEEDINGS
Pamela Speelman, David Gore, Scott Hyde, Eastern Michigan University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Charleston, SC, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-67-9 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
There are many common terms in use today that everyone knows; but when asked the definition of the term, can greatly fluctuate among individuals. Most of the time, this difference in meaning is based on individual academic discipline exposure. Simulation is one such term that is frequently used, but the interpretation of the word varies among disciplines. The purpose here is to examine the word simulation and to look at how the word is defined and applied in several academic fields, such as: mathematics, engineering, technology and gaming. However, before the term simulation can be explored, defining the broad meaning of mathematics, engineering, technology and gaming is important. In addition, the paper will compare some of the inputs and outputs of simulation in these fields.
Speelman, P., Gore, D. & Hyde, S. (2009). Simulation: Gaming and Beyond. In I. Gibson, R. Weber, K. McFerrin, R. Carlsen & D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2009--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1568-1573). Charleston, SC, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 15, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/30837/.
© 2009 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Creativebits. (2008). Retrieved September 28, 2008, from creativebits Organization Website: http://creativebits.org/files/atmosphere22-2.jpg
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. (2008). Retrieved September 14, 2008, from Merriam-Webster Incorporated Website: http://www.merriam-webster.com/
- Physics Education Technology. (2008). Projectile motions. Retrieved September 28, 2008 from University of Colorado, Boulder Website: http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Projectile_Motion
- Spore (2008). Spore on pc and mac. Retrieved September 28, 2008 from Electronic Arts Inc. Website: http://www.spore.com/pc
- Steen, L.A. (1998). Mathematics. ASCD. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from ASCD Website: http://www.ascd.org/portal/site/ascd/template.chapter/menuitem.1889bf0176da7573127855b3e3108a0c/ ?chapterMgmtId=f97433df69abb010VgnVCM1000003d01a8c0RCRD
- Texas Training Center. (2007). “Steering you to safety” Retrieved September 28, 2008 from http://steeringyoutosafety.com/mark_3_simulator.html
- The Daily Galaxy. (2008). News from planet earth and beyond. Retrieved September 28, 2008 from http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/16/spore_city.jpg
- Toupin, L. (2008). Analysis meets design. Desktop Engineering, 14, 20—26 Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Simulation. Retrieved September 10, 2008 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.