On the Horizon: Will Web 2.0 Change the Face of Online Learning? PROCEEDINGS
Judi Repman, Cordelia Zinskie, Elizabeth Downs, Georgia Southern University, United States
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-66-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This paper explores the push/pull between two competing forces impacting online learning. Applying a business model, with its emphasis on cost-effectiveness, scalability, and modularization has been identified as the conservative (pull) force. The push (or progressive force) is the use of Web 2.0 technologies to transform education into a student-centered learning community. Understanding these competing forces is needed to function in the new landscape of higher education.
Repman, J., Zinskie, C. & Downs, E. (2008). On the Horizon: Will Web 2.0 Change the Face of Online Learning?. In C. Bonk, M. Lee & T. Reynolds (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2008--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 2381-2389). Las Vegas, Nevada, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/30005/.
© 2008 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Doctor Doolittle. (2008, April 28). In Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, retrieved April 29, 2008 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushmepullyou#Pushmi-pullyu
- Grush, M. (2008). The future of Web 2.0. Campus Technology, 21(7), 20-23.
- Hiltz, S.R., & Turoff, M. (2005). Education goes digital: The evolution of online learning and the revolution in higher education. Communications of the ACM, 48(10), 59-64.
- McGee, P., & Diaz, V. (2007). Wikis and podcasts and blogs! Oh, my! What is a faculty member supposed to do. EDUCAUSEreview, 42(5), 28-40.
- Prensky, M. (2008). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40-45.
- Villano, M. (2008). Wikis, blogs, & More, oh my! Campus Technology, 21(8), 42-50.
- Wilson, B.G., Parrish, P., Balasubramanian, N., & Switzer, S. (2007). Contrasting forces affecting the practice of distance education. In R. Luppicini (Ed.), Online learning communities (pp. 333-346). Charlotte, NC: IAPInformation
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.