Rojak: A New Paradigm in Teaching and Learning PROCEEDINGS
Kathiravelu Ganeshan, Unitec New Zealand, New Zealand ; Dan Komosny, Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Vienna, Austria ISBN 978-1-880094-65-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
Abstract: In this paper, we consider some educational paradigms in use in universities, polytechnics and schools, the changing expectations of students and their parents, some factors that lead to these changing expectations, how these changing expectations coupled with poor, inadequate, and/or late responses from education policy makers, take the fun out of learning and teaching and result in 'deskilling' of the teaching profession. We then introduce and discuss our Rojak paradigm, which addresses some of the issues, putting together some proven methods and technologies, enhanced by software and hardware technologies developed by us, in an attempt to bring the fun back into teaching and learning. We also look at how the technologies and systems we developed can be extended to help improve the education of some of the two billion children in the developing world.
Ganeshan, K. & Komosny, D. (2008). Rojak: A New Paradigm in Teaching and Learning. In J. Luca & E. Weippl (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2008--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 4093-4101). Vienna, Austria: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 15, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/28956/.
© 2008 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Arnold, D. (2008). Education Not Incarceration. National Education Association. Http://www.nea.org/espcolumns/dv031205.html
- Graham, D, & Valsamidis, A. (2006). A Framework for e-Learning: A Blended Solution? http://www.formatex.org/micte2006/Downloadable-files/oral/A%20Framework%20for%20e-Learning.pdf (Last Accessed 16
- Kumon. (2008). Kumon Institutes Around the World. Http://www.kumon.com/ (Last accessed 24 March 2008)
- Kurzweil, R. (2008). The Law of Accelerating Returns, KurzweilAI.net. Http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1 (Last accessed 24 March 2008)
- Littlejohn, A. (2007). Preparing for blended e-learning. P143.
- Majhanovich, S. (2002). Conflicting visions, competing expectations: control and deskilling of education– a perspective from Ontario. McGill Journal of Education, 37(2), 159-176. Also on http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3965/is_200204/ai_n9030852 (Last accessed 24 March 2008).
- Mason. R. (1998). Globalising Education: Trends and Applications. London: Routledge. P158.
- McGrath. (2008). Kip McGrath Education Centers. Http://www.kipmcgrath.co.nz/ (Last accessed 24 March 2008).
- Mitter, W. (1987). Expectations of Schools and Teachers in the Context of Social and Economic Changes.
- Moodle. (2008). Moodle. Http://moodle.org/ (Last accessed 4 April 2008).
- OLPC. (2008).one laptop per child http://laptop.org/vision/mission/ (Last accessed 24 March 2008).
- Pio, E. (2005). The Guru-Shishya process for radiating knowledge in organizations. Knowledge and Process Management, Vol.12, No. 4, 278-287
- Raptus. (2008). Beethoven as Court Apprentice (1781-1784). Raptus Association for Music Appreciation. Http://www.raptusassociation.org/beethapprentice.html (Last Accessed 4 April 2008).
- Redden, E. (2006). The Engaged E-Learner. INSIDE HIGHER ED. Insidehighered.com. 13 Nov 2006. Http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/11/13/nsse (Last Accessed 4 April 2008).
- Survey. (2006). National Survey of Student Engagement. 2006 Annual Report. Http://nsse.iub.edu/NSSE_2006_Annual_Report/index.cfm
- Wesch, M. (2008). (in collaboration with 200 students at Kansas Stare university). A vision of Students Today. YouTube Video. Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o (Last accessed 24 March 2008).
- Whelan, R. (2008). Pacific eLearning Observatory brief. Http://www.usp.ac.fj/index.php?id=4770 (Last accessed 24 March
- 2008).Wikidot. (2008). Http://www.wikidot.com/ (Last Accessed 4 April 2008).
- Young, A. & Muller, L. (2006). Aluminum foil satellite dishes and a millennium of experience: sustainability in the high Andes, ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, Volume 38, Issue 3 (September 2006), ISSN:0097-8418
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.