Web 2.0 in Portuguese Academic Community: An Exploratory Survey PROCEEDINGS
Clara Coutinho, João Batista Bottentuit Junior, University of Minho, Portugal
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-64-8 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Web 2.0 relates to a number of web-based services and applications that, though relatively mature, can be explored for educational uses in a myriad of new and innovative ways. In this paper we will begin by establishing: a) why we consider Web 2.0 is more than a set of “cool” new technologies and services; b) why we believe in the capacities of this new web generation to explore collaborative teaching and learning strategies, c) in order to advocate for its integration in our higher education classroom activities. We will then present a recent survey conducted in main Portuguese universities in order to verify if our academic community (students and teachers) were aware of this new web paradigm and believed on its potential for changing educational and communicational processes. The results show up that the Portuguese academic community is unaware of this new philosophy and that is necessary to develop strategies for an effective integration of Web 2.0 tools in our teaching and learning practices.
Coutinho, C. & Bottentuit Junior, J.B. (2008). Web 2.0 in Portuguese Academic Community: An Exploratory Survey. In K. McFerrin, R. Weber, R. Carlsen & D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2008--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1992-1998). Las Vegas, Nevada, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/27492/.
© 2008 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Alexander, B. (2006). Web 2.0: A new wave of innovation for teaching and learning? Educause Review, vol. 41, nº. 2, 32– 44.
- Anderson, P. (2007). What is Web 2.0? Ideas, technologies and implications for Education. Technology& Standards Watch Retrieved http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/techwatch/tsw0701b.pdf Consulted 30/08/2007.
- Babbie, E. (1997) Survey Research Methods. (2 ª Ed). Belmont, California: Wadsworth Publishing Company Baltazar, N.; Germano, J. (2006). Os Weblogs e a sua apropria ç ã o por parte dos jovens universitários. O caso do curso de C. Com. Da U. Algarve. Revista de Ciências da Informa ç ã o e da Comunica ç ã o do CETAC, 3, pp. 1-19.
- Berners-Lee, T. (1999). Weaving the Web. San Francisco: Harper Collins.
- Castells, M. (2004). A Galáxia Internet. Reflexõ es sobre Internet, Neg ó cios e Sociedade. Lisboa: Funda ç ã o Calouste Gulbenkian.
- Charles, C.M. (1998) Introduction to Educational Research, 3 ª Ed. New York: Longman.
- Coutinho, C.P. (2006). Utiliza ç ã o de blogs na forma ç ã o inicial de professores: um estudo explorató rio. In PANIZO et al (Eds.) Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Computers in Education, (Vol 2), pp. 157-164.
- Coutinho, C.P. (2007). Infusing technology in preservice teacher education programs in Portugal: an experience with weblogs. In R. Craslen et al (Eds.). Proceedings of the 18th International Conference of the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education, SITE 2007. Chesapeake, VA: AACE, pp. 2027-2034.
- Guerra, M. (2000). A Escola que Aprende. Porto: Asa.
- Hayman, S. (2007). Folksonomies and Tagging: new developments in social bookmarking. Retrieved http://www.educationau.edu.au/jahia/webdav/site/myjahiasite/shared/papers/arkhayman.pdf, Consulted 27/07/2007.
- Lam, J. (2004). Technology in the Classroom. Retrieved http://www.teach-nology.com/tutorials/techinclass/, Consulted 20/8/2007.
- Lopes, A.M. (2005). Integra ç ã o curricular da Internet na sala de aula: o papel das webquests e dos blogs. In P. Dias& C.V. Freitas V. Actas da IV Conferência Internacional Challenges, 2005. Braga: UM, pp. 405-412.
- Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, Wikis, Podcast and other powerful Web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Schutt, R.K. (1999). Investigating the Social World: The process and Practice of Research. (2 ª Ed). Thousand Oaks: Pine Forge Press. Silva, F.; Miranda, G. (2005). Forma ç ã o Inicial de Professores e Tecnologias. In P. Dias& Freitas V. Actas da IV Conferência Internacional Challenges, 2005. Braga: Centro N ó nio Sec-XXI, Universidade do Minho, pp. 593-606.
- Souza, R. (2005). Uma Proposta Construtiva para a Utiliza ç ã o de Tecnologias na Educa ç ã O. In R. Silva& A. Silva (Org.), Educa ç ã o, Aprendizagem e Tecnologia– Um Parad í gma para Professores do Século XXI, (pp.121-138).
- Wiersma, W. (1995). Research Methods in Education: An Introduction, 6th Ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon. (cid:2) This paper presentation was financed by CIED, Minho University, Braga, Portugal
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.