Exploring Open Source for Educators: We're Not in Kansas Anymore--Entering Os PROCEEDINGS
Julia Hengstler, University of Victoria (Candidate M.Ed. Leadership Studies)/ School District 64 Gulf Islands, BC, Canada, Canada
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-62-4 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
The session/proceedings will provide an overview of the open source and free software movements with reference to programs of interest to educators. The presenter will share a brief history of the Free Software and Open Source Movements, a discussion of the differences between free software & open source; an annotated directory of freely sourced educational software; and a basic methodology to assess readiness to migrate from proprietary to freely sourced software. References cited include unique personal communications from Free Software Movement founder, Richard M. Stallman and Minix creator, Andrew Tanenbaum.
Hengstler, J. (2007). Exploring Open Source for Educators: We're Not in Kansas Anymore--Entering Os. In C. Montgomerie & J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2007--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 4286-4291). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 14, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/25996/.
© 2007 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Christensen, C. (2000). The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail. New York: Harper Collins.
- DiBona, C., Ockman, S., & Stone, M. (1992). Introduction. In C. DiBona, S. Ockman & M. Stone (Eds.), In Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution. Retrieved September 28, 2006, from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/intro.html
- Farmer, J. (2006). The new "post-patent" environment for e-learning: A perspective. Fortnightly Mailing[ http://www.schmoller.net ]. Retrieved September 26, 2006, from
- Helfer, D.S. (2005). E-Learning Service Leaders Blackboard and WebCT Merge. Information Today Inc. [ http://www.informationtoday.com ]. Retrieved September 26, 2006, from
- Koders. (2006). About Koders. Retrieved May 23, 2006, from http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?f=About Kotter, J.P. (1996). Leading Change. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Open School BC. (2006). Open School Online Consortium. Retrieved September 27, 2006, from http://online.openschool.bc.ca/oc_announcements.html
- Rice, W. (2006). Moodle E-Learning Course Development. Birmingham, United Kingdom: Pakt Publishing, Ltd. V world New Media [Designs4nuke.com]. (February 7, 2006). Information Technology: Survey Confirms: Open Source Demand Growing, But Lack of Knowledge and Commercial Support Hinder Rapid ROI. Retrieved September 29, 2006, from http://www.designs4nuke.com/76/index.php?name=News & File=article & Sid=239
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.