Using Virtual Reality to Learn and Socialise Online PROCEEDINGS
Gavin McArdle, Teresa Monahan, Michela Bertolotto, University College Dublin, Ireland
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-62-4 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
Social interaction and community building is a very important part of university life. As more universities opt to incorporate e-learning for delivering learning content, there is potential for a loss of social contact between students. Some currently available Learning Management Systems attempt to address this need by providing forums and message boards where students can discuss relevant topics. More recently some researchers have begun to combine Virtual Reality with synchronous communication tools to create online 3D environments for real-time delivery of learning content. This paper describes our own system CLEV-R, which explores the use of a 3D environment to deliver learning content but also to facilitate meaningful social interaction with fellow students. We also describe our efforts in providing a similar system on mobile devices, for students on the move. We report on an initial evaluation study, which shows that CLEV-R proved popular with students and educators alike.
McArdle, G., Monahan, T. & Bertolotto, M. (2007). Using Virtual Reality to Learn and Socialise Online. In C. Montgomerie & J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2007--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 4225-4234). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 20, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/25986/.
© 2007 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Bouras, C., Fotakis, D., Kapoulas, V., Koubek, A., Mayher, H. & Rehatscheck, H. (1999). Virtual European School-VES. Proceedings of the IEEE Multimedia Systems '99: Special Session on European Projects, 1055-1057.
- Bouras, C., Giannaka, E. & Tsiatsos, T. (2003). Virtual Collaboration Spaces: The EVE Community. Proceedings of the 2003 Symposium on Applications and the Internet (SAINT), 48-55.
- Bouras, C. & Tsiatsos, T. (2006). Educational Virtual Environments: Design Rationale and Architecture. Multimedia Tools and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Brown, T. (2005). Towards a Model for M-Learning in Africa. International Journal on E-Learning, 4 (3), 299-315.
- Burdea, G.C. & Coiffet, P. (2003). Virtual Reality Technology, 2nd Edition. John Wiley& Sons. Kamel, Boulos, M.N., Taylor, A.D. & Breton, A. (2005). ASynchronous Communication Experiment within an Online Distance Learning Program: A Case Study. Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, 11(5), 583-593.
- McInnerney, J.M., & Roberts, T.S. (2004). Online Learning: Social Interaction and the Creation of a Sense of Community. Educational Technology& Society, 7(3), 73-81.
- Monahan, T., McArdle, G. & Bertolotto, M. (2006). Interactive and Collaborative M-Learning, Proceedings of the International Conference on Interactive Computer Aided Learning (ICL), Villach, Austria, 27-29 September.
- Monahan, T., McArdle, G., Bertolotto, M. & Mangina, E. (2005). 3D User Interfaces and Multimedia in E-Learning, Proceedings of the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hyper-Media& Telecommunications (ED-MEDIA), Montreal, Canada, June 27-July 2.
- Nijholt, A. (2000). Agent-Supported Cooperative Learning Environments. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Advanced Learning Technologies.
- Preece, J. (2000). Online Communities: Designing Usability, Supporting Sociability. Chichester, UK: John Wiley& Sons.
- Redfern, S. And Naughton, N. (2002). Collaborative Virtual Eenvironments to Support Communication and Community in Internet-Based Distance Education. In Joint International Conference on Informing Science and IT Education, 2002, pages 1317–1327, Cork, Ireland.
- Reneland L (2002) Learning at a Distance, How to Prevent Dropouts. Proceedings of the International Netlearning Conference.
- Rickel, J. & Johnson, W.L. (1999). Virtual Humans for Team Training in Virtual Reality. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education, 578-585.
- Ryan, J., O'Sullivan, C., Bell, C. & Mooney, R. (2004). A Virtual Reality Electrocardiography Teaching Tool. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference in Biomedical Engineering, 250-253.
- Salmon, G. (2002). E-tivities : The Key to Active Online Learning, London: Kogan Page.
- San Chee Y. (2001). Networked Virtual Environments for Collaborative Learning. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE), 3-11.
- San Chee, Y. & Meng Hooi, C. (2002). C-VISions: Socialized Learning through Collaborative, Virtual, Interactive Simulations. Proceedings of Conference on Computer Support for Collaborative Learning (CSCL), 687-696.
- Thurmond, V.A. & Wambach, K. (2004). Understanding Interactions in Distance Education: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 1, 9-33.
- Zhang, D., Zhao, J.L., Zhou, L. & Nunamaker, J.F. (2004). Can E-Learning Replace Classroom Learning? Communications of
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.