Wiki Productivity and Discussion Forum Activity in a Postgraduate Online Distance Learning Course PROCEEDINGS
Carl Kennard, Staffordshire University, United Kingdom
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-62-4 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This paper reflects on the use of wikis during an online group project for a module taught as part postgraduate distance learning course. The sample group contained students from a number of different nationalities and professional backgrounds. The relationship between forum activity, including the volume of wiki-specific forum posts, and the amount of wiki pages produced is investigated to see if one area of student activity significantly affects the other. For the purposes of the project the wiki was embedded in a virtual learning environment called Moodle. Levels of wiki use during this project prove to be poor and the student's unfamiliarity with the technology is revealed. A strong correlation between wiki specific forum postings and the number of wiki pages produced during the group project is discovered, indicating this type of activity should be encouraged when using wikis. Conclusions are drawn on how the study's findings relate to the claims found in existing literature and suggestions are made for avenues of further investigation using wiki page histories.
Kennard, C. (2007). Wiki Productivity and Discussion Forum Activity in a Postgraduate Online Distance Learning Course. In C. Montgomerie & J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2007--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 3564-3569). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/25888/.
© 2007 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Alessi, A.M. & Trollip, S.R. (2001). Multimedia for Learning: Methods and Development. Needham Heights: Alleyn and Bacon Becta ICT Research. A Review of the Research Literature on the Use of Managed Learning Environments and Virtual Learning Environments in Education, and a Consideration of the Implications for Schools in the United Kingdom. Retrieved July 24, 2004 from: http://www.becta.org.uk/page-documents/research/VLE_report.pdf C2.com. (2007). Choosing a Wiki. Retrieved February 22, 2007 from: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ChoosingaWiki
- Cronje, J. (1995). Multimedia-Shaping the future of education. Retrieved January 29, 2004 from: http://hagar.up.ac.za/catts/abc/madnes95.html
- Elin, L. (2001). Designing and Developing Multimedia: A Practical Guide for the Producer, Director, and Writer. Needham Heights: Alleyn and Bacon
- Farnham, S., Chesley, H.R., McGhee, D.E., Kawal, R. & Landau, J. (2000). Structured Online Interactions: Improving the Decision-Making of Small Discussion Groups. Retrieved July 23, 2004 from: http://research.microsoft.com/scg/papers/leadlinecscw2000.pdf Grant, L. (2006). Using Wikis in Schools: a Case Study. Retrieved 12 February, 2007 from: http://www.futurelab.org.uk/download/pdfs/research/disc_papers/Wikis_in_Schools.pdf
- Lawler, R.W. (1997). Learning with Computers. Exeter: Intellect Books.
- Maher, M.L. & Clark, S. (2001). Learner Centred Virtual Environments as Places. Retrieved 30 March, 2004 from: http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/~chris_a/MaherPubs/2001pdf/ECSCL.pdf Matias, N. (2003). What is a Wiki?. Retrieved April 12, 2004 from:
- Nulden, U. & Hardless, C. (1999). Activity Visualization and Formative Assessment in Virtual Learning Environments. Retrieved July 25, 2004 from: http://www.viktoria.se/nulden/Publ/avfa.pdf Papert, S. (1980). Mindstorms: Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas. Hemel Hempstead: Harvester Wheatsheaf. Schneider, D. Paraskevi. S., & Frete, C. (2002). Community, Content and Collaboration Management Systems in Education: A new chance for socio-constructivist scenarios?. Retrieved July 25, 2004 from: http://tecfa.unige.ch/proj/seed/catalog/socs/rhodes-paper-tecfa-web.pdf
- Thoeny, P. (2006). What is TWiki? Retrieved: February 22, 2007 from: http://twiki.org/ Wang, M., Sierra, C., & Folger, T. (2003). Building a Dynamic Online Learning Community Among Adult Learners. Retrieved April 4, 2004 from: http://www.aznet.net/~cbsierra/media/M_J_Wang_Article.pdf
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chris Astall, Jackie Cowan & Tracy Clelland, College of Education, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (Mar 29, 2010) pp. 1316–1321
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.