Urban expressions and experiential gaming PROCEEDINGS
Claire Dormann, Robert Biddle, Carleton University, Canada
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-62-4 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
In this paper we present a geo-located game in connection with experiential learning, beginning with motivation, and outlining the gameplay and game mechanics. The game encourages collaborative exploration of the environment and facilitates production and sharing of stories and city experiences. We discuss our experience while play-testing the game. We then present the elaboration of virtual stories and the creation of a community wiki atlas. Lastly, we describe the status of the game, and its role in course-teaching
Dormann, C. & Biddle, R. (2007). Urban expressions and experiential gaming. In C. Montgomerie & J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2007--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 3506-3511). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 14, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/25879/.
© 2007 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Andreotti, L. (2000) Play-tactics of the “Internationale Situationiste”. October, 91, 36-58.
- Flynn, B. (2003). Languages Of Navigation Within Computer Games. Http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/dac/papers/Flynnn.pdf (accessed Mar. 2005)
- Friedman, T. (2005). Civilization and Its Discontents: Simulation, Subjectivity, and Space. In Discovering Discs: Transforming Space and Genre on CD-ROM edited by G. Smith. New York University Press. Http://www.duke.edu/~tlove/civ.htm (accessed Mar. 2005)
- Gentry, J. (1990). Guide to business gaming and experiential learning, Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL), 230-254.
- Kolb, D. (1984). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development. New Jersey, Prentice Hall.
- Leuf, B. & Cunningham, W. (2001) The Wiki Way: Collaboration and Sharing on the Internet. New York: Addison-Wesley.
- Miligan, M. (1998) Interactional past and potential: The social construction of place attachment. Symbolic Interaction 21(1), 33-66.
- Reinhold, R. (2006). WikiTrails: Augmenting Wiki Structure for Collaborative, Interdisciplinary Learning. International Symposium on Wikis 2006. ACM, Odense, Denmark. Siobhán, T. (2006) Pervasive learning games: Explorations of hybrid educational gamescapes. Simulation& Gaming 37 (1), 41-55.
- Schulman P. (2000) Paris en jeu de l’oie: les fantomes de Nestor Burma. The French review, 73 (6), 1155-1164.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.