Blog as a Meaningful Learning Context: Adult Bloggers as Cyworld Users in Korea PROCEEDINGS
Gyeong Mi Heo, McGill University, Canada ; Romee Lee, University of British Columbia, Canada ; Young Park, HaniEdu, United States
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-62-4 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This study explores the potential of blogs as an informal learning space for adults. Data collected from adult users of Cyworld, the most popular blog service in Korea, showed that blogs can be the essential daily contexts in which informal learning can occur. Also, for bloggers who set up a primary intention and goals on what they want to do in advance, blogging experiences were closer to self-regulated learning. This implies that self-regulation can be actively used as a learning strategy for bloggers who use blogs for more planned and organized goals for learning.
Heo, G.M., Lee, R. & Park, Y. (2007). Blog as a Meaningful Learning Context: Adult Bloggers as Cyworld Users in Korea. In C. Montgomerie & J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2007--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 76-81). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 14, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/25361/.
© 2007 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Blog (2006, December 16). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved December 17, 2006, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Blog & Oldid=94695515
- Cho, S.H. (2006, December 14). Chinese Cyworld users over 3.5 millions. Yunhap News. Retrieved December 17, 2006, from http://www.joins.com/article/2537100.html?ctg=-1 Heo, G.M., Lee, R., & Park, Y. (2007). Learning experiences of adult bloggers as self-regulated learners. Andragogy Today: Interdisciplinary Journal of Adult& Continuing Education, 10(1), 249-279.
- Jacobs, D. (2006) Cyworld lands on Myspace. International Business Times. Retrieved December 17, 2006, from http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20060731/cyworld-myspace-sktelecom-newscorp.htm
- Ormrod, J.E. (2004). Human learning (4 ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall. Owen, C., Pollard, J., Kilpatrick, S., & Rumley, D. (1998). Electronic learning communities? Factors that enhance and inhibit learning within email discussion groups. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Learning Communities, Regional Sustainability and the Learning Society, Launceston, Tasmania.
- Tough, A. (1978). Major learning efforts: Recent research and future directions. Adult Education, 28, 250-263.
- Tough, A. (2002). The iceberg of informal adult learning. NALL Working Paper #49. Retrieved December 17, 2006, from http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/depts/sese/csew/nall/res/49AllenTough.pdf
- Zimmerman, B.J. (2002). Becoming a self-regulated learner: An overview. Theory Into Practice, (Spring-Autumn). Retrieved December 17, 2006, from http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NQM/is_2_41/ Ai_90190493/print
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.