Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Phoenix, AZ, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-55-6 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Abstract: Through the funding of an Improving Teacher Quality Grant, fifteen rural science educators were selected to attend a one week summer technology institute in which state and national standards were applied to integrate handheld computer applications within the science curriculum. Emphasis was placed on providing hands-on experiences using handheld computers, freeware applications, probeware and developing lessons and activities to support teaching and learning. In addition to professional development, teachers received the hardware and software needed to integrate the activities into their instruction. A follow-up meeting during the fall semester was used to evaluate the impact of the project in the classroom. Participant survey responses indicated that the combination of receiving the new technologies and appropriate training for implementation was the key to feeling competent in incorporating the technologies in the classroom.
Smith, L. & Heaton, L. (2005). Integrating Handheld Computers in a Rural Science Classroom. In C. Crawford, R. Carlsen, I. Gibson, K. McFerrin, J. Price, R. Weber & D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2005--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3750-3754). Phoenix, AZ, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 24, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/19733/.
- Evans, T. (2002). Schools giving thumbs-up to Palm Pilots. Indianapolis Star. Retrieved October 17, 2002, from http://www.wayne.k-12.in.us/ois/palms.htm
- Mason, C.L., & Dralle, A. (1999). Yesterday, today, and tomorrow: The history and social science classroom. Journal of Education, 181(3), 1-11.
- Palm. (2002). Palm in Education: Success Stories. Retrieved October 2, 2003, from http://www.palm.com/education/studies
- WVDE. (2001) Policy 2520 Content Standard and Objectives. Retrieved October 4, 2003, from http://wvde.k-12.wv.us/policies/p2520_co.html
- WVDE. (2002). Policy 5310 Performance Evaluation of School Personnel. Retrieved October 4, 2003, from http://wvde.k-12.wv.us/policies/p5310.html
- Valdez, G., McNabb, M., Foersch, M., Anderson, M., Hawkes, M., & Raack, L. (2000). Computer-based technology and learning: Evolving uses and expectations. Retrieved September 20, 2004, from http://www.ncrel.org/tplan/cbtl/toc.htm
- Vandenabeele, J. (2001). Science class gets a boost. Retrieved October 3, 2003, from http://www.detnews.com/2001/schools/0107/23/c03-252214.htm
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.