Application Scenarios of Mobile Learning in Vocational Training: A Case Study of Ach So! in the Construction Sector PROCEEDING
Marjo Virnes, Aalto University, School of Arts Design and Architecture, Department of Media, Finland ; Janna Thiele, Markus Manhart, University of Innsbruck, School of Management, Information Systems, Austria ; Stefan Thalmann, Know-Center and Graz University of Technology, Institute of Interactive Systems and Data Science, Austria
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Washington, DC ISBN 978-1-939797-29-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This study explored the application scenarios of a mobile app called Ach So! for workplace learning of construction work apprentices. The mobile application was used for piloting new technology-enhanced learning practices in vocational apprenticeship training at construction sites in Finland and in a training center in Germany. Semi-structured focus group interviews were conducted after the pilot test periods. The interview data served as the data source for the concept-driven framework analysis that employed theoretical concepts on mobile learning as well as workplace learning. Case studies showed the applicability of mobile learning to vocational training and education at construction sites and demonstrated possibility to improve information literacy.
Virnes, M., Thiele, J., Manhart, M. & Thalmann, S. (2017). Application Scenarios of Mobile Learning in Vocational Training: A Case Study of Ach So! in the Construction Sector. In J. Johnston (Ed.), Proceedings of EdMedia 2017 (pp. 89-98). Washington, DC: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved August 19, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/178308/.
© 2017 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Bauters, M., Purma, J., & Leinonen, T. (2014). In-time on-place learning. In 10th International Conference on Mobile Learning 2014. IADIS Press. (pp. 256-260).
- Boud, D., & Middleton, H. (2003). Learning from others at work: communities of practice and informal learning. Journal of Workplace Learning, 15(5), 194-202.
- Cole, R., Purao, S., Rossi, M. & Sein, M. (2005). Being Proactive: Where Action Research Meets Design Research. Proceedings of ICIS 2005. Paper 27. Http://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2005/27 Eraut, M. (2004). Informal learning in the workplace. Studies in continuing education, 26(2), 247-273.
- Eraut, M. (2007). Learning from other people in the workplace. Oxford review of education, 33(4), 403-422.
- Falk, J., & Storksdieck, M. (2005). Using the contextual model of learning to understand visitor learning from a science center exhibition. Science Education, 89(5), 744-778.
- Fessl, A., Bratic, M., & Pammer, V. (2014). Continuous learning with a quiz for stroke nurses. International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning, 6(3), 265-275.
- Fessl, A., Wesiak, G., Rivera-Pelayo, V., Feyertag, S. & Pammer, V. (2015). In-app reflection guidance for workplace learning. Design for Teaching and Learning in a Networked World (pp. 85-99). Springer International Publishing.
- Imel, S. (2000). Contextual Learning in Adult Education. Practice Application Brief, No. 12.
- Leinonen, T., Keune, A., Veermans, M., & Toikkanen, T. (2016). Mobile apps for reflection in learning: A design research in K ‐ 12 education. British Journal of Educational Technology, 47(1), 184-202.
- Marsick, V.J. (2009). Toward a unifying framework to support informal learning theory, research and practice. Journal of Workplace Learning, 21(4), 265-275.
- Pawlowski, J.M., Bick, M., Peinl, R., Thalmann, S., Maier, R., Hetmank, L., Kruse, P., Martensen, M., & Pirkkalainen, H. (2014). Social knowledge environments. Business& Information Systems Engineering, 6(2), 81-88.
- Pink, S., Lingard, H., & Harley, J. (2016). Digital pedagogy for safety: the construction site as a collaborative learning environment. Video Journal of Education and Pedagogy, 1(1), 5.
- Pirkkalainen, H., Thalmann, S., Pawlowski, J., Bick, M., Holtkamp, P. & Ha, K. (2010). Internationalization Processes for Open Educational Resources. Book Internationalization Processes for Open Educational Resources, Series Internationalization Processes for Open Educational Resources 51, ed., Springer-Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, pp. 57-64.
- Thalmann, S., & Maier, R. (2016). Needles in the haystack: Finding content worth preparing for workplace learning with the KEP model. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies.
- Tynjälä, P. (2008). Perspectives into learning at the workplace. Educational research review, 3(2), 130-154.
- Virnes, M., Purma, J., Bauters, M., & Leinonen, T. (2015). Creating and Sharing Knowledge Through Experiences: A Case Study with Ach so! in Healthcare Education. In Design for Teaching and Learning in a Networked World (pp. 642-645). Springer
- Waizenegger, L., Thalmann, S., Sarigianni, C., Eckhardt, A., Kolb, D., Maier, R., & Remus, U. (2016). From Isolation to Collaboration-How the increasing Diffusion of Mobile Devices has changed Practices to Knowledge Sharing in Non-Office Settings. Proceedings of ECIS 2016. Association for Information Systems (AIS) / AIS Electronic Library (AISeL), Nr. 62.
- Yin, R.K. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods (Third ed.). Thousand Oaks, California, The United States of America: Sage Publications.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.