Open Government Partnership as a Platform for Advancing Open Education Policy ARTICLE
Jan Gondol, Office of the Plenipotentiary of the Governmentfor the Development of the Civil Society ; Nicole Allen, The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
Open Praxis Volume 7, Number 3, ISSN 1369-9997 e-ISSN 1369-9997 Publisher: International Council for Open and Distance Education
An exciting new avenue for establishing and expanding national commitments to open education has emerged through the Open Government Partnership (OGP), a multilateral initiative that aims to secure commitments from governments to make their governance more open, accountable and responsive to citizens. In the past, there has not been a strong link between open education and open government, but that has changed in the last year as both the United States and the Slovak Republic adopted commitments to open education in their OGP national action plans. The purpose of this paper is to explore OGP as a strategy for securing national-level commitments to open education in participating countries. We begin by providing background on the OGP, then discuss case studies from the United States and the Slovak Republic, and finally offer recommendations for advocates other countries to consider.
Gondol, J. & Allen, N. (2015). Open Government Partnership as a Platform for Advancing Open Education Policy. Open Praxis, 7(3), 273-280. International Council for Open and Distance Education. Retrieved October 22, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/151727/.
- Creative Commons. (2014). State of the Commons. Retrieved December 18, 2014 from https://stateof.creativecommons.org/report/ Creative Commons. (2015). OER Policy Registry. Retrieved March 1, 2015 from https://wiki.
- Open Government Partnership. (2015). About the Open Government Partnership. Retrieved from http://www.opengovpartnership.org/about
- 280Jan Gondol and Nicole AllenOpen Knowledge. (2015). OKFN Open Data Index: Dataset overview. Retrieved from http://index.okfn.org/dataset/
- Skills Commons. (2015). About Skills Commons. Retrieved from http://skillscommons.org
- Slovak Republic. (2014). Open Government Partnership Action Plan 2014–2015. Retrieved March 20, 2015 from https://lt.justice.gov.sk/Attachment/vlastnymat_rtf.pdf?attEID=70102 & DocEID=388481 & MatEID=7645
- Slovak Republic. (2015). Návrh akčného plánu Iniciatívy pre otvorené vládnutie v Slovenskej republike na rok 2015. Retrieved March 20, 2015 from http://www.rokovania.sk/Rokovanie.aspx/ BodRokovaniaDetail?idMaterial=24263
- Smith, G. & Sinai, N. (2014, September 24). Celebrating Open Government Around the Globe. The WhiteHouse Blog. Retrieved from https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/09/24/celebratingopen-government-around-globe
- Tepe, L. (2012, August 10). Govbytes: Speaking of Critical Open Data... The Great British Public Toilet Map. Govloop. Retrieved from https://www.govloop.com/community/blog/govbytesspeaking-of-critical-open-data-the-great-british-public-toilet-map/
- U.S. Department of Labor. (2011). US Labor Department encourages applications for Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training Grant Program. Retrieved March 15, 2015 from http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/eta/eta20101436.htm
- U.S. Department of Labor. (2015). Online Skills Academy. Retrieved March 20, 2015 from http://www.doleta.gov/skillsacademy/U.S.DepartmentofState.(2013).SecretaryClintonToHosttheAnnouncementoftheOpenBookProject.RetrievedMarch20,2015fromhttp://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2013/01/203330.htm
- United States. (2014). Announcing New Open Government Initiatives as part of the Second Open Government National Action Plan for the United States of America. Retrieved March 20, 2015 from https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/new_nap_commitments_report_092314.pdf
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.