The Impact of a Cooperative Learning Program on the Academic Achievement in Mathematics and Language in Fourth Grade Students and its Relation to Cognitive Style
Mery Vega-Vaca, Colegio Jos Mart IED. Secretara de Educacin de Bogot. ; Christian Hederich-Martnez, Universidad Pedaggica Nacional
NAERJ Volume 4, Number 2, ISSN 2254-7339 Publisher: University of Alicante
This study is expected to determine the impact of a program based on the cooperative learning methodology. This, in comparison to a traditional learning situation in both mathematics and language achievement. The study was carried out on a group of fourth grade students of primary school. In addition, it tried to find the differential impact according to the cognitive style in the field dependence-independence dimension. This work was carried out with 76 students of the Colegio Jos Mart I.E.D. (Bogot-Colombia) ranging from 8-12 years of age. The control group received a traditional teaching methodology and the experimental group received the cooperative learning program, composed of 35 sessions (from July to November 2009). All the participants were tested in mathematics and language performance, before and after the intervention. All of them were tested in cognitive style as well. The results suggested that the cooperative learning methodology benefited importantly the academic achievement of the students in mathematics in contrast to the competitive and individualist situations. The results also suggested that the three cognitive style groups were positively affected from the cooperative learning situation. These results were not found in the language area.
Vega-Vaca, M. & Hederich-Martnez, C. (2015). The Impact of a Cooperative Learning Program on the Academic Achievement in Mathematics and Language in Fourth Grade Students and its Relation to Cognitive Style. Journal of New Approaches in Educational Research (NAER Journal), 4(2), 84-90. University of Alicante. Retrieved January 16, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/151680/.
© 2015 University of Alicante
- AbdelWahab Mahmoud, M.M. (2014). The Effectiveness of Using the Cooperative Language Learning Approach to Enhance EFL Writing Skills among Saudi University Students. Journal Of Language Teaching& Research, 5(3), 616625.
- Arias, J., Roca, C., & Estupiñán, F. (2003). Aprendizaje Cooperativo. Bogotá: Universidad Pedagógica Nacional.
- Duxbury, J., & Tsai, L. (2010). The Effects of Cooperative Learning on Foreign Language Anxiety: a Comparative Study of Taiwanese and American Universities. International Journal of Instruction, 3(1), 3-18.
- García, M. (2012). Implementación de un programa de aprendizaje cooperativo y su efecto en el rendimiento en la resolución de problemas de estructura aditiva y en el comportamiento asertivo de un grupo de estudiantes de diferente estilo cognitivo de 2º de primaria. Unpublished master’s thesis. Bogotá: Universidad Pedagógica Nacional.
- Guerra, A., & Orozco, N. (2009). Efectos del aprendizaje cooperativo en la resolución de problemas en estudiantes de diferente estilo cognitivo. Unpublished master’s thesis. Bogotá: Universidad Pedagógica Nacional.
- Haiyan, H. (2014). Transforming EFL Classes from Lecturing to Cooperative Learning. Journal Of Language Teaching& Research, 5(4), 948-952.
- Herman, K. (2013). The Impact of Cooperative Learning on student engagement: Results from an Intervention. Active Learning Higher Education, 14(3), 175185.
- Jiang, B. (2014). Web-based Cooperative Learning in College Chemistry Teaching. International Journal Of Emerging Technologies In Learning, 9(2), 45-47.
- Johnson, D.W., & Johnson, R.T. (2009). An educational psychology success story: Social interdependence theory and cooperative learning. Educational Researcher, 38(5), 365-379
- Johnson, D.W., Johnson, R.T., & Holubec, E.J. (2008). Cooperation in the classroom (8th Ed.). Edina, MN: Interaction. 90
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.