Key skills for co-learning and co-inquiry in two open platforms: a massive portal (EDUCARED) and a personal environment (weSPOT) ARTICLE
Alexandra Okada, The Open University UK ; Antonio Serra, Universidade Estadual do Maranhao ; Silvar Ribeiro, Sonia Pinto, Universidade do Estado da Bahia
Open Praxis Volume 7, Number 1, ISSN 1369-9997 e-ISSN 1369-9997 Publisher: International Council for Open and Distance Education
This paper presents a qualitative investigation on key skills for co-learning and co-inquiry in the digital age. The method applied was cyber-ethnography with asynchronous observation (forum and wiki) and synchronous discussions (webconference) for analysing skills developed by a co-learning community. This study focuses on participants from different countries who interacted during nine months in two open platforms: the massive educational portal EDUCARED of the “7th International Conference on Education 2012-2013” and weSPOT, an European “Working Environment with Social Personal and Open Technologies for inquiry based learning”. As a result of this study, it was observed that the EDUCARED portal led to the development of more explicit digital literacies, possibly because it was a simpler and familiar interface (forum). And in the weSPOT environment, experienced participants with digital technologies had more opportunities to develop other skills related to Critical-Creative Thinking and Scientific Reasoning.
Okada, A., Serra, A., Ribeiro, S. & Pinto, S. (2015). Key skills for co-learning and co-inquiry in two open platforms: a massive portal (EDUCARED) and a personal environment (weSPOT). Open Praxis, 7(1), 83-102. International Council for Open and Distance Education. Retrieved September 21, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/150761/.
- Ananiadou, K. & Claro, M. (2009). 21st century skills and competences for new millennium learners in OECD countries. Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Ala-Mutka, K. (2011). Mapping Digital Competence: Towards a Conceptual Understanding. Sevilla: Institute for Prospective Technological Studies.
- Bardin, L. (2007). Análise de Conteúdo. Lisboa: Edições 70.
- Beers, S. (2011). 21st Century Skills: Preparing Students for THEIR Future. McGraw Hill Education. Retrieved from https://www.mheonline.com/mhmymath/pdf/21st_century_skills.pdf Binkley, M., Erstad, O., Herman, J., Raizen, S., Ripley, M. & Rumble, M. (2010). Defining 21st Century Skills. White Paper commissioned for the Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills Project (ATC21S).
- Brantmeier, E.J. (2005). Empowerment Pedagogy: Co-learning and Teaching. Indiana University. Retrieved from http://www.indiana.edu/~leeehman/Brantmeier.pdf Calonego, R., Serra, A.R.C. & Okada, A. (2014). Social, open and personalised environments for communication and knowledge management between business and educational organisations. I-KNOW 2014 International Conference on Knowledge Technologies and Data-Driven Business, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series.
- Cheetham, G. & Chivers, G. (1998). The reflective (and competent) practitioner: a model of professional competence which seeks to harmonise the reflective practitioner and competencebased approaches. Journal of European Industrial Training, 22(7), 267-276.
- Cheetham, G. & Chivers, G. (2005). Professions, competence and informal learning. Edward Elgar: Cheltenham.
- Conley, D. (2007). Redefining College Readiness. Eugene, OR: Educational Policy Improvement Center-EPIC. Retrieved from http://www.aypf.org/documents/RedefiningCollegeReadiness.pdf Correa, A.L., Rabello, C. & Okada, A. (2014). Reliability of web-based information in inquiry projects. EC-TEL 2014 9th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, Graz, Austria, Springer.
- Durand, T. (2000). L’alchimie de la compétence. Revue Française de Gestion,127, 84-102.
- Edelson, D., Gordin, D. & Pea, R. (1999). Addressing the Challenges of Inquiry-Based Learning Through Technology and Curriculum Design. Journal of the Learning Sciences 8(3), 391-450.
- European Communites. (2007). Key Competences For Lifelong Learning European Reference Framework. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/publ/pdf/ll-learning/keyComp_es.pdf
- Finegold, D. & Notabartolo, A. (2010). Research on 21st Century Competencies. National Research Council. Retrieved from http://www.hewlett.org/uploads/21st_Century_Competencies_Impact. Pdf
- Freire, P. (1986). Pedagogy of the Oppressed. New York: Continuum.
- Government of Alberta. (2010). Inspiring Action on Education. Retrieved from http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/media/2905/inspiringaction%20eng.pdf
- Heron, J. (1996). Cooperative Inquiry: Research into the human condition. London: Sage.
- Keeley-Browne, E. (2011). Cyber-Ethnography: The Emerging Research Approach for 21st Century Research Investigation. In G. Kurubacak, & T. Yuzer (Eds.) Handbook of Research on Transformative Online Education and Liberation: Models for Social Equality (pp. 330-238).
- Lewgoy, B. (2009). A invenção da (ciber)cultura: Virtualização, aura e práticas etnográficas pós-tradicionais no ciberespaço. Civitas, 9(2), 185-196.
- National Research Council. (2011). Assessing 21st century skills: Summary of a workshop. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. Retrieved from http://www.nap.edu/catalog. Php?record_id=13215
- National Research Council. (2012). Education for Life and Work: Developing Transferable Knowledge and Skills in the 21st Century. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. Retrieved from http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13398 OECD. (2005). The definition and Selection of key Competencies. Executive summary. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/pisa/35070367.pdf
- OECD. (2013). PISA 2015 Draft Collaborative Problem Solving Framework. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisaproducts/Draft%20PISA%202015%20Collaborative%20Problem%20Solving%20Framework%20.pdf
- Okada, A. (2008). Colearn. Retrieved from http://colearn.open.ac.uk/ Okada, A. (2012). Open Educational Resources and Social Networks: Co-Learning and Professional Development. London: Scholio Educational Research& Publishing.
- Okada A. (2013). Ambientes Emergentes para coaprender e co-investigar em rede. VIII International Conference of ICT in Education-Challenges 2013 Minho Portugal.
- Okada, A. (2014). Competencias-chave para coaprender: fundamentos,metodologias e aplicações. St. Tirso: WhiteBooks.
- Okada, A., Meister, I. & Barros, D. (2013). Refletindo sobre evaluación na era da coaprendizagem e coinvestigação. 1st International Conference on Assessment and Technologies in Higher Education-CATES 2013, Portugal.
- Rabello C. & Okada A. (2014). Coaprendizagem e desenvolvimento profissional docente em ambientes abertos massivos. Revista e-Curriculum, 12(3), 2095-2118.
- Smith, F. (1996). Joining the Literacy Club: Further Essays into Education. Portsmouth NH: Heinemann.
- Souza, K., Okada, A. & Silva, B. (2014). Competences For Co-Entrepreneurship: contribution to the understanding of the concept for Entrepreneurial education. International Congress on Education, Innovation and Learning Technologies, Barcelona, Spain.
- Tractenberg, L., Struchiner, M. & Okada, A. (2009). A case of web-based collaborative inquiry learning using OpenLearn technologies. M-ICTE2009 V International Conference on Multimedia, 102 Alexandra Okada et al. Information and Communication Technologies in Education. Lisbon, Portugal. Retrieved from http://www.formatex.org/micte2009/book/891-896.pdf UNESCO. (2011). UNESCO ICT Competency Framework for Teachers. Retrieved from http://www.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.