Much aMOOC about Nothing: Is Real Research Coming? ARTICLE
Vicki Williams, Nai-Fen Su, The Pennsylvania State University, United States
International Journal on E-Learning Volume 14, Number 3, ISSN 1537-2456 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC USA
In this age of continual technology advances, educators have become somewhat used to rapid innovation and change brought on by new learning technologies. Higher education institutions are constantly researching new forms of educational delivery, but academe in general has had some difficulty understanding the potential of MOOCs. To date, serious research on the impact of MOOCs on learning is fairly scarce. The authors examine the present state of MOOC research and speculate on why it is so.
Williams, V. & Su, N.F. (2015). Much aMOOC about Nothing: Is Real Research Coming?. International Journal on E-Learning, 14(3), 373-383. Waynesville, NC USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved August 17, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150671/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Anonymous (2013). News from ASIS& T chapter. Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (Online), 39(5), 12. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1411122064?accountid=13158
- Bonk, C.J., & Dennen, V.P. (2005). Massive multiplayer online gaming: A research framework for military education and training. (Technical Report# 2005-1). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Defense (DUSD/R): Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) Initiative. Retrieved from http://mypage.iu.edu/~cjbonk/GameReport_Bonk_final.pdf;
- Breslow, L., Pritchard, D.E., DeBoer, J., Stump, G.S., Ho, A.D., & Seaton, D.T. (2013). Studying learning in the worldwide classroom: Research into edX’s first MOOC. Research& Practice in Assessment, 8, 13-25
- Cavanaugh, J. (2005). Teaching online-A time comparison. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 8(1). Retrieved from https://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/spring81/cavanaugh81.htm
- Cormier, D., & Siemens, G. (2010). Through the open door: Open courses as research, learning, and engagement” [online], EDUCAUSE Review, 45(4), 30-39. Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/through-open-door-open-courses-research-learning-and-engagement
- Daniel, J. (2012). Making sense of MOOCs: Musings in a maze of myth, paradox and possibility. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, 3. Retrieved from http://wwwjime.open.ac.uk/jime/article/viewArticle/2012-18/html/
- Davidson-Shivers, G.V. (2009). Frequency and types of instructor interactions in online instruction. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 8(1), 23-40.
- Fowlkes, K. (2013, February 5). MOOCs: Valuable innovation or grand diversion?. InformationWeek. Retrieved from http://www.informationweek.com/education/onlinelearning/moocs-valuable-innovation-or-granddiver/240147875
- Gaudiosi, J. (2008). Army sets up video-game studio. Wired. Retrieved from http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2004/06/63911
- Harper, E. (2007, July 9). MMO players make great leaders. Retrieved from http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/07/09/mmo-players-make-great-leaders/
- Hernandez, C. (2014, February 14). World of Warcraft: An Educational Tool [Weblog post]. Retrieved from https://sites.dartmouth.edu/socy91w14/2014/02/14/world-ofwarcraft-an-educational-tool/
- Holrer, M. (2013, August 2). MOOCs: Revolutionizing higher ed. BusinessNorth.com. Retrieved from http://www.businessnorth.com/viewarticle.asp?articleid=5464 Ifenthaler, D., & Widanapathirana, C. (2014). Development and validation of a learning analytics framework: Two case studies using support vector machines. Technology, Knowledge and Learning, 19(1-2), 221-240. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10758382
- Marshall, S. (2013). Evaluating the strategic and leadership challenges of MOOCs. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 9(2), 216. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1500422691?accountid=13158
- Meyer, L. (2013, June 6). California bill allowing credit for MOOCs passes senate. Campus Technology. Retrieved from http://campustechnology.com/articles/2013/06/06/ California-bill-allowing-credit-for-moocs-passes-senate.aspx
- Pirani, J.A. (2013, November 4). A compendium of MOOC perspectives, research, and resources. EDUCAUSE Review Online. Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/ Ero/article/compendium-mooc-perspectives-research-and-resources
- Rajabi, H., & Virkus, S. (2013). The potential and readiness of Tallinn University to establish massive open online courses (MOOCs). Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries (QQML), 4, 431-439. Retrieved from http://www.qqml.net/papers/December_2013_Issue/249QQML_Journal_2013_Rajabi_Virkus_4_431_439.pdf
- Reeves, T.C., & Hedberg, J.G. (2014). MOOCs: Let’s Get REAL. Educational Technology: The magazine for managers of change in education, 54(1), 3-8.
- Schoenack, L. (2013). A new framework for massive open online courses (MOOCs). Journal of Adult Education, 42(2), 98-103. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1490578512?accountid=13158
- Siemens, G., Irvine, V., & Code, J. (2013). MOOCs: An academic perspective on an emerging technological and social trend. [Special Issue] Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 9(2) Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1500421435 ?accountid=13158
- Saltzman, G.M. (2014). The economics of MOOCs. National Education Association. Retrieved from http://ww.neanh.org/assets/docs/HE/2014_Almanac_Saltzman.pdf Savenjie, D. (2013, November). 8 questions MOOCs face in 2013. Education Dive. Retrieved from
- Williams, V.S. (2014, August 14). Research Today: Results from a PROQUEST search on the term “MOOC” [Web blog post]. Retrieved from http://sites.psu.edu/assessment/2014/08/14/research-today-results-from-a-proquest-search-on-the-term-mooc/
- Yuan, L., & Powell, S. (2013). MOOCs and open education: Implications for higher education. Cetis Publications, Centre for Educational Technology, Interoperability and Much aMOOC About Nothing: Is Real Research Coming? 383
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.