Extending the Territory: From Open Educational Resources to Open Educational Practices
Ulf-Daniel Ehlers, Baden-Wurttemberg Corporative State University
Journal of Open, Flexible, and Distance Learning Volume 15, Number 2, ISSN 1179-7665 e-ISSN 1179-7665 Publisher: Distance Education Association of New Zealand
This article examines the findings of the recent OPAL report Beyond OER: Shifting Focus from Resources to Practices. In doing so, it defines current understanding of open educational resources and open educational practices, and highlights the shift from open content to open practice. The article includes a framework for supporting open educational practices. The conclusions emphasise that open access is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the opening of education, and foreshadows ongoing moves toward changes in educational architectures that promote increased uptake of open educational resources and wider application of open education.
Ehlers, U.D. (2011). Extending the Territory: From Open Educational Resources to Open Educational Practices. Journal of Open, Flexible, and Distance Learning, 15(2), 1-10. Distance Education Association of New Zealand. Retrieved February 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/147891/.
- ASTD and Masie Center. (2001). E-learning: If we build it will they come? Retrieved from http://www.astd.org/NR/rdonlyres/9094AF2C-7B2F-41CE-9FEE5D81D216B805/0/LearningTechnologyAcceptanceStudy.pdf
- Baumgartner, P. (2007). The Zen art of teaching: Communication and interaction in e-education. Retrieved from http://www.ro.feri.uni-mb.si/razno/icl2004/pdf/baumgartner.pdf
- Beggan, A. (2009). Opening up: Staff attitudes to open learning. Retrieved from http://webapps.nottingham.ac.uk/elgg/cczajb/files/-1/833/Opening+up--Staff+attitudes+to+open+learning..pdf
- Boyle, T., & Cook, J. (2004). Understanding and using technological affordances: A commentary on Conole and Dyke. ALT-J, 12 (3).
- Browne, T., Holding, R., Howell, A., Rodway-Dyer, S. (2010). The challenges of OER to academic practice. Journal of Interactive Media in Education. Retrieved from http://jime.open.ac.uk/article/2010-3/pdf
- Ehlers, U.-D. (2011). From open educational resources to open educational practices. ELearning Papers (23). Retrieved from http://elearningpapers.eu/en/download/file/fid/22240
- Hylén, J. (2006). Open educational resources: Opportunities and challenges. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/5/47/37351085.pdf
- Kahle, D. (2008). Designing open educational technology. In T. Iiyoshi and M.S. Vijay Kumar (Eds.), Opening up education: The collective advancement of education through open technology, open content, and open knowledge (pp. 27–45). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Keller, P., and Mossink, W. (2008). Reuse of material in the context of education and research. Retrieved from http://www.surffoundation.nl/SiteCollectionDocuments/Report_SURFCC_Reuse%20of%20m Aterial_Eng_DEF.doc
- Laurillard, D. (1993). Rethinking university teaching: A framework for the effective use of educational technology. London: Routledge.
- McGill, L., Currier, S., Duncan, C., & Douglas, P. (2008). Good intentions: Improving the evidence base in support of sharing learning materials. Project Report. Retrieved from http://ie-repository.jisc.ac.uk/265/1/goodintentionspublic.pdf.
- McGill, L., Beetham, H., Falconer, I., & Littlejohn, A. (2010). UKOER pilot programme synthesis and evaluation report. Retrieved from http://www.caledonianacademy.net/spaces/oer/index.php?n=Main.PilotProgrammeSynthesisA NdEvaluationReport
- Mayes, T., & De Freitas, S. (2004). Stage 2: Review of e-learning theories, frameworks and models. JISC E-learning models desk study. Retrieved from http://www.elearning.ac.uk/resources/modelsdeskreview/
- National Science Foundation. (2008). Fostering learning in the networked world: The cyberlearning opportunity and challenge. Report of the NSF Task Force on Cyberlearning. Retrieved from http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2008/nsf08204/nsf08204.pdf
- OECD. (2007). Giving knowledge for free: The emergence of open educational resources. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/35/7/38654317.pdf
- OPAL (2011). Beyond OER: Shifting focus to open educational practices. OPAL Report 2011. Essen, Germany: Open Education Quality Initiative.
- Paavola, S., Lipponen, L., & Hakkarainen, K. (2004). Models of innovative knowledge communities and three metaphors of learning. Review of Educational Research, 74(4), 557– 576.
- Rogers, E.M. (1983). Diffusion of innovations. New York: Free Press. 9 Ehlers, U.-D.
- Stacey, P. (2010). Foundation funded OER vs. Tax payer funded OER—A tale of two mandates. Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Open Ed Conference 2010 Proceedings. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10609/5241
- UNESCO. (2002). Forum on the impact of opencourseware for higher education in developing countries. Retrieved April 21, 2010 from http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.phpURL_ID=5303&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html
- Windle, R.J., Wharrad, H., McCormick, D., Laverty, H., Taylor, M. (2010). Sharing and reuse in OER: Experiences gained from open reusable learning objects in health. Journal of Interactive Media in Education. Retrieved from http://jime.open.ac.uk/2010/04
- Wood, H., & Wood. (1999). Help seeking, learning and contingent tutoring. Computers& Education 33, 153–169.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
Constance Blomgren, Centre for Distance Education - Athabasca University
The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning Vol. 19, No. 2 (May 01, 2018)
Mapping the open education landscape: citation network analysis of historical open and distance education research
Martin Weller, Katy Jordan, Irwin DeVries & Viv Rolfe
Open Praxis Vol. 10, No. 2 (Apr 20, 2018) pp. 109–126
Anita Walz & Jyldyz Bekbalaeva
Open Praxis Vol. 10, No. 2 (Apr 20, 2018) pp. 159–177
Open Praxis Vol. 9, No. 2 (Jun 29, 2017) pp. 125–140
Catherine Cronin, National University of Ireland, Galway
The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning Vol. 18, No. 5 (Aug 15, 2017)
Niki Davis, University of Canterbury e-Learning Lab; Andrew Higgins, Independant Consultant
Journal of Open, Flexible, and Distance Learning Vol. 19, No. 2 (Nov 24, 2015) pp. 8–24
George Veletsianos, Royal Roads University
Open Praxis Vol. 7, No. 3 (Jul 30, 2015) pp. 199–209
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.