Case study of an online English language course that emphasizes self-assessment of speaking and writing PROCEEDINGS
Goh Kawai, Hokkaido University, Japan ; Akio Ohnishi, VERSION2, Japan
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Tampere, Finland ISBN 978-1-939797-08-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
We report a case study where 2600 university freshmen learn the English language in an online environment that emphasizes speaking and writing skills. The language material and learning tasks are designed so that learners can estimate by themselves the appropriateness of their language production. Instructors do not comment on the learners' speaking or writing. The course is offered in the 1st semester of the freshman year, and lasts 15 weeks. Learners take a diagnostic test during week 1, and TOEFL-ITP during week 9. During the past 8 years, mean scores for the diagnostic test have remained unchanged, while mean scores for TOEFL-ITP have risen steadily. We believe this course format may be suited for intermediate language classes that lack instructors able to provide corrective feedback to learners.
Kawai, G. & Ohnishi, A. (2014). Case study of an online English language course that emphasizes self-assessment of speaking and writing. In J. Viteli & M. Leikomaa (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia 2014--World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (pp. 505-509). Tampere, Finland: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved August 17, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/147872/.
© 2014 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Anderson, P. (2013). Technical Communication, 8th ed. Independence, KY: Cengage Learning
- Aoyama Gakuin University (2013). Foreign Language Laboratory. Http://www.aoyama.ac.jp/en/institutes/
- Hokkai Video (2013). Webtube. Http://hokkai-V.co.jp/
- Hokkaido University (2013). OpenCourseWare. Http://ocw.hokudai.ac.jp/
- Kyushu University (2013). Online English. Http://rche.kyushu-U.ac.jp/
- Osaka University (2013). CALL System. Http://www.cmc.osaka-U.ac.jp/j/call/
- Sams, A. & Bergmann, J. (2012). Flip Your Classroom. Washington, DC: International Society for Technology in Education
- Tohoku University (2013). CALL System. Http://www.dc.tohoku.ac.jp/guide/CALL/index_CALL.html
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- 140623_edmedia_hokudai_case_study_v3_2014Jun25.pptx (Access with Subscription)