Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Jacksonville, Florida, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-07-0 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
An educational technology course for preservice social studies teachers was created based on technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) (Mishra & Koehler, 2006) and refined based on the results of a TPACK- survey completed by students before the course began. The instructor was able to eliminate aspects correlating with high self-assessed knowledge and focus on areas which showed a perceived lack of knowledge. Results of this survey and this paper provide a snapshot of students’ perceived knowledge, according to TPACK components, prior to entering the teaching field while also demonstrating how course design can quickly be modified if the class curriculum has a TPACK foundation connected with a TPACK pre-class survey.
Hart, M. & Kumar, S. (2014). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)-Based Course Design in Preservice Social Studies Education. In M. Searson & M. Ochoa (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2014--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2367-2375). Jacksonville, Florida, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/131134/.
© 2014 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Hammerness, K., Darling-Hammond, L., Bransford, J., Berliner, D., Cochran-Smith, M., McDonald, M., & Zeichner, K. (2005). How teachers learn and develop. Preparing teachers for a changing world: What teachers should learn and be able to do, 358-389.
- Hammond, T.C., & Manfra, M.M. (2009). Giving, prompting, making: Aligning technology and pedagogy within TPACK for social studies instruction. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education
- Koehler, M., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK)?. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70.
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2011). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches, 16-31.
- Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P., Kereluik, K., Shin, T.S., & Graham, C.R. (2014). The technological pedagogical content knowledge framework. In Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology (pp. 101-111). Springer New York.
- Koh, J.H., & Divaharan, S. (2011). Developing pre-service teachers' technology integration expertise through the TPACK-developing instructional model. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 44(1), 35-58.
- Leeman, J. (2013). Guiding Pre-service Teachers Toward Technology Supported Learner-Centered Instruction: Using the TPACK Literature to Inform Teacher Educator Pedagogy. In R. McBride& M. Searson (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2013 (pp. 4983-4988). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/48918
- McCormick, R., & Scrimshaw, P. (2001). Information and communications technology, knowledge and pedagogy. Education, Communication& Information, 1(1), 37-57.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 42(2), 123.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.