Immigrant Family Perspectives on Information and Communication Technologies use in Homes, Kindergartens and Schools in Basel Switzerland: A Case Study. PROCEEDINGS
Wendy Marti-Bucknall, University of Canberra Australia, Switzerland
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Lugano, Switzerland ISBN 978-1-880094-53-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This paper reports on preliminary findings from a work in progress in Basel, German Speaking Switzerland. The study explores ICT use in immigrant families and their children's kindergartens and primary schools. Findings on technology use in 40 immigrant families and the kindergartens and schools that their children attend are given. Themes arising out of the data include the digital divide, equality in education as well as pedagogical discourse. Given the range of technologies available, parents should not be isolated in their efforts to use technology as one tool of many to maintain home language with their children.
Marti-Bucknall, W. (2004). Immigrant Family Perspectives on Information and Communication Technologies use in Homes, Kindergartens and Schools in Basel Switzerland: A Case Study. In L. Cantoni & C. McLoughlin (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2004--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 4586-4591). Lugano, Switzerland: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved July 19, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/12862/.
© 2004 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Bowman, B. (1998). Math, science, and technology in early childhood education. Paper presented at the Forum on Early Childhood Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education (Washington DC).
- Cummins, J. (1986). Empowering Minority Students: A Framework for intervention Harvard Educational Review, 56 (1), 18-36.
- Elliott, A. (2000). Effects of sociocultural contexts and discourses on science and technology teaching in early childhood education. In J. Hayden. (Ed.). (2000). Landscapes in Early Childhood Education: Cross National Perspectives on Empowerment-A Guide for the New Millennium. (pp.393-408). New York: Peter Lang.
- Feldman, D. (2000). Technology and Early Literacy: A Recipe for Success. Retrieved December 8, 2000, from http://childrenandcomputers.com/Articles/technology_early_literacy.htm
- Haugland, S. (2000). What role should technology play in young children’s Learning? Part 1. Young Children,54(3),26-31.
- Haughland, S. (2000). What role should technology play in young children's learning? Part 2. Early childhood classrooms in the 21st century: Using computers to maximise learning. Young Children, 55 (1) , 12-18.
- Hegg, A. (2001). Internet security brief. US and Foreign Commer cial Service and US Department of State. Retrieved 18 December 2003 from http://www.byusinfo.com
- Kalinowski, M.F. (2001). The current status of technology in education: Light speed ahead with mild turbulence. Information Technology in Childhood Education. 2001 (1), 281-291. Retrieved December 8, 2003 from AACE Digital library http://aace.org
- Moser, U. (2003). PISA - ein internationaler Vergleich der Schulleistungen zeigt wirkungen. [PISA – an international comparison makes an effect] Vier bis Acht, 6,14-16.
- Quigley, M., & Blashki, K. (2003). Beyond the Boundaries of the Sacred Garden: Children1 and the Internet. Information Technology in Childhood Education Annual 2003(1), 309-316. Retrieved December 4, 2003 from AACE Digital library http://aace.org
- Riel, M., Schwarz, J. & Hitt, A. (2002). School change with technology: Crossing the digital divide. Information Technology in Childhood Education Annual. 2002(1), 147-179. Retrieved December 4, 2003 from AACE Digital library http://aace.org
- Rogoff, B. (2003). The cultural nature of human development. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Spirig, J. (2000, December 5). Kinder, Eltern und die sache mit der Maus. [Children, parents and the thing with the mouse].Basler Zeitung pp .45 .
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office. (2003). ICT infrastructure at Swiss public schools according to level, 2001. Accessed December 16 2003 http://www.statisitik.admin.ch/stat_ch/ber20indic-soc-info- English/edu1e.htm
- Swiss Foreign Minister Calmy-Rey opens ICT4D Platform with call for openness and innovation. 2003 World summit on
- the information society. Retrieved 13 December 2003 http://www.ict4d.org/Marketplace/en/Participants/daily_news/opening.htm
- Swaminathan, S., & Yelland, N. (2003). Global perspectives on educational technology. Childhood Education, 79 (5) 258-260.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.