Using mobile video technologies to enhance the assessment and learning of pre-service teachers in Work Integrated Learning (WIL)
Christopher Dann, Bill Allen, University of the Sunshine Coast, Australia
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-02-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC USA
Abstract: The prevalence of mobile technology in the lives of educators begs the question how they can be best used to improve the formative and summative assessment of pre-service teachers in workplace learning. This paper outlines how one regional university in Australia has developed a purpose-built application for iPhone with a companion web to manage communication between all stakeholders in the pre-service teachers’ practicum. The iPhone has the capability of capturing video, photographic and written data about each criterion at any time. The paper also reports on early research on its suitability. Preliminary results have indicated that the system provides increased support for supervising teachers in their decision-making processes. Pre-service teachers welcomed greater opportunities for enhanced, visual feedback providing ongoing formative feedback and improved capacity for summative assessment. Opportunities for further research and design modifications are explored.
Dann, C. & Allen, B. (2013). Using mobile video technologies to enhance the assessment and learning of pre-service teachers in Work Integrated Learning (WIL). In R. McBride & M. Searson (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2013--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 4231-4238). New Orleans, Louisiana, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/48790/.
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Coll, R, Taylor, N & Grainger, S (2002). Assessment of work based learning: Some lessons from the teaching profession ’, Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 3 (2), 5-12
- Cousin, G. (2009). Researching Learning in Higher Education. Abingdon, Oxford: Routledge.-4236 DASHDASH
- He, W., Means, T. & Lin, G.Y. (2006). Field experience tracking and management in teacher development programs. International Journal of Higher Education in Teaching and Learning., 2. 134-147.
- Hodges, D., Smith, B.W., & Jones. P.D (2004). The assessment of Cooperative Education, in RK Coll& C Eames (eds),
- Kim, S.H., Mims, C., & Homes, K.P. (2006). An introduction to current trends and benefits of mobile wireless technology use in higher education. AACE Journal, 14 (1), 77-100
- Leahy, S. & Wiliam, D. (2012) From teachers to schools: Scaling up professional development for formative assessment. Chapter 4. Assessment and Learning. 49-72 London, SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Leshern, S. & Bar-HamaR. (2008). Evaluating teaching practice. ELT Journal. 62 (3), 257-265
- MacCallum, K. & Jeffrey, L (2009). Identifying discriminating variables that determine mobile learning adoption by educators: An initial study. In Same places, different spaces. Proceedings ascilite. Auckland 2009. Http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/auckland09/procs/maccallum.pdf
- McNamara, J. (2008). ‘ The challenge of assessing student capabilities in legal internships’, in Proceedings WACE AsiaPacific Conference, 30 September-3 October, 2008, Sydney, Australia
- Miles, M.B. & Huberman, A.M. (1994). Qualitative Data Analysis. Thousand Oaks CA. SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Pollard, A P., Triggs, P., Broadfoot, E., McNess E. & Osbourne, M. (2000). What pupils say, changing policy and practice in primary Education. London: Continuum
- Race, P. (2010) Making Learning Happen, A Guide for Post-Compulsory Education. London. SAGE Publications Inc.
- Ramsden, P. (2003) Learning to teach in Higher Education. London. RoutledgeFalmer.
- Smith, K. (2007) Empowering school and university-based teacher educators as assessors: A school-university cooperation. Educational research and evaluation. 13 (3), 279-293
- Stenkie, P. & Finch, P. (2007). Assessing Service-Learning, Research& Practice in Assessment, 1 (2)
- Tillema, H.H., Smith, K., & Leshem, S. (2012) Dual Roles– Conflicting purposes: a comparative study no perceptions on assessment in mentoring relations during practicum. European Journal of Teacher education. 34, (2) 139-159
- Wiliam D. (2007). Assessment for Learning: why, what and how? Inaugural Professorial Lecture delivered at the Institute of Education, University of London.
- Wiliam, D. (2011). What assessment can-and cannot– do. Pedagogiska Magasinet Sept 16.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References