iPad Initiative for a M.Ed. Instructional Technology Program
Carrie Thornthwaite, Lipscomb University, United States
Global Learn, in Online, Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
Administrators of a M.Ed. Instructional Technology (IT) program began to receive requests from students to include some hardware as part of the program. This paper reports on both the university’s response to those requests, as well as the research done prior to brining iPads into the program. Studies will be shared on the benefits that iPads can provide for the students, both as learners and also as educators. The comparative value of iPads to that of personal computers will also be shared. Then this paper discusses four general ways that iPads can be used for instruction, including 1-1 initiatives, using classroom sets, using small numbers of iPads and then even using only one iPad/classroom. This paper also includes some specifics from the initial course of the university’s IT program. That course requires the use of a variety of classroom apps. Results from both a pre-course and a mid-term survey indicate that the IT majors value the new iPad initiative.
Thornthwaite, C. (2012). iPad Initiative for a M.Ed. Instructional Technology Program. In Proceedings of Global Learn 2012: Global Conference on Learning and Technology (pp. 21-26). Online,: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/42035/.
© 2012 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Ackerman, D. (2010, January 27). Should the Apple iPad be considered a computer? CNET News. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10442315-1.html
- Bancroft School (2012). School website. Retrieved from http://www.bancroftschool.org/page.cfm?p=3642
- Brown, M. (2012, April 11). The Single iPad Classroom [Weblog post]. Retrieved from https://elementaryedtech.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/the-single-ipad-classroom/
- Carroll, L. (1946). Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Special Edition published by Random House, Inc., New York, N.Y. (Original work published 1898)
- Cherry, S. (2010, April). The iPad Is Not a Computer. Consumer Electronics. Retrieved from http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/portable-devices/the-ipad-is-not-a-computer
- Della Cava, M.R. (2010, June 6). Does iPad have the magic to bring people together? Retrieved from http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2010-06-07-ipadculture07_CV_N.htm
- Dunn, J. (2012, May 14). A Quick Guide To Managing A Classroom Full of iPads. Edudemic. Retrieved from http://edudemic.com/2012/05/how-to-manage-a-classroom-of-ipads/
- Heine, B. (2012, August 17). Why Your iPad Is Almost Always The Cheapest Way To Get Your Textbooks. Cult of Mac. [Weblog post] Retrieved from http://www.cultofmac.com/185222/why-your-ipad-is-almost-alwaysthe-cheapest-way-to-get-your-textbooks-back-to-school/
- Hohenbrink, M. (2012, April 3). St. Gabriel’s Launches 1-to-1 iPad Initiative to Flip Classrooms. The Journal. Retrieved from http://thejournal.com/articles/2012/04/03/texas-school-launches-11-ipad-initiative-to-flipclassrooms.aspx
- Hollis, J. (2012, April 20) Teaching with iPads. Retrieved from http://teachingwithipads.com/2012/04/
- Lakmal (2012). 5 Reasons to Use eBooks and Not Use Paper Books. Greensymbol. [Weblog post] Retrieved from http://www.greensymbol.info/2011/11/5-reasons-to-use-ebooks-and-not-use.html
- Rosoff, M. (2011, March 2). Steve Jobs: Tablets Are Not PCs And Our Competitors Don’t Get It. Business Insider. Retrieved from: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-03-02/tech/29977517_1_pc-market-tablet-market-pc-world
- Salerno, M. & Vonhof, M. (2011, December 14). Launching an iPad 1-to-1 Program: A Primer– experiences of two high schools. The Journal. Retrieved from http://thejournal.com/articles/2011/12/14/launching-an-ipad-1to-1-program-a-primer.aspx
- Shepherd, I. & Reeves, B. (2011, March 1). IPad or iFad – The reality of a paperless classroom. Abilene Christian University– Mobility Conference. Retrieved from http://www.acu.edu/technology/mobilelearning/documents/research/ipad-or-ifad.pdf
- Suffer, J.D. And Gross, D. (2010). Apple Unveils the “magical” iPad. CNN Tech. Retrieved from http://articles.cnn.com/2010-01-27/tech/apple.tablet_1_ipad-ibook-tablet?_s=PM:TECH
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- presentation_3054_37808.pptx (Access with Subscription)