Global Learn, in Penang, Malaysia ISBN 978-1-880094-79-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
This virtual session presents experiences from the early stage of a collaboration to incorporate social networking tools into a nationwide conservation-education professional development program in the People’s Republic of China. Prior to the launch of a joint-initiative with US educators in this conservation-education profession in 2006, no professional development program existed for this group of Chinese professionals. US and Chinese members of this joint-initiative invited the authors of this paper, instructional technology researchers and practitioners, to assist with their efforts to offer social networking tools in support of building and maintaining a community of practice among these professionals. From a design-based research perspective, findings from qualitative data collection in naturalistic settings will be shared about habits, trends and barriers to the use of social networking in professional development in China discovered in this case.
Russell, R., Stone, D., Wang, Q. & Wang, X. (2010). Exploring the Use of Social Networking Tools to Support a Community of Practice in China. In Z. Abas, I. Jung & J. Luca (Eds.), Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010--Global Conference on Learning and Technology (pp. 1372-1375). Penang, Malaysia: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 15, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/34352/.
© 2010 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Buckman, R. (2005, December 1). Why the Chinese hate to use voice mail. Wall Street Journal.
- China Internet Network Information Center. (2009). Statistical Report on Internet Development in China. Retrieved from: http://www.cnnic.cn/uploadfiles/pdf/2009/10/13/94556.pdf
- Park, J., Yang, S. & Lehto, X. (2007) Adoption of Mobile Technologies for Chinese Consumers. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 8, 196-206.
- Reeves, T.C., Herrington, J., & Oliver, R. (2005). Design research: A socially responsible approach to instructional technology research in higher education. Journal of Computing and Higher Education, 16(2), 97-116.
- Siwal. (2008, January 17). So where’s China in the world of Social networking Sites– Facebook, MySpace. TechRadar Blog. Message posted to: http://techradar1.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/so-wheres-china-in-the-world-of-facebook-myspace/
- Wasko, M.M. & Faraj, S. (2000). “It is what one does”: why people participate and help others in electronic communities of practice. Journal of Strategic Information Systems 9 (2/3), 155–173.
- Wenger, E. (2002) Ayuda Urbana: a constellation of communities of practice focused on urban issues and challenges in Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean region. Case study written for the BEEP Project of the European Union, www.beep-eu.org , Case 333.
- Wenger, E. And Snyder, W. (2000) Communities of practice: the organizational frontier. Harvard Business Review. January-February, pp. 139-145.
- Yan, X. (2003). Mobile data communications in China. Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery 46(12), 80-85.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- lrr_des_qw_xcw_globallearn.pptx (Access with Subscription)