E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-66-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
This paper will present our experiences to design and implement an online training unit to prepare school counseling majors for online counseling. The experiences focus on two parts: (a) the design of the online training, and (b) the design of online counseling. Based on a technology-integration model and the traditional ADDIE instructional design model, new strategies that cooperate with the online environment and current Web 2.0 tools and applications are developed and applied into the online training and online counseling. Strategies, tools, issues and some useful tips will be discussed.
Gentile, T. & Liu, L. (2008). Online Training to Prepare Counselors for Online Counseling: New Strategies and Tools. In C. Bonk, M. Lee & T. Reynolds (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2008--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 1579-1585). Las Vegas, Nevada, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/29866/.
© 2008 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Astramovich, R.L., Jones, W.P., & Coker, J.K. (2004). Technology-enhanced consultation in counseling: A comparative study. Guidance& Counseling, 19(2), 72-80.
- Barlow, D.H. (2004). Psychological treatments. American Psychologist, 59(9), 869-878.
- Burnett-Stuart, J. (2001). The technological psyche: A challenge to psychodynamic counseling? Psychodynamic Counseling, 7(4), 431-444.
- Capuzzi, D., & Gross, D.R. (2005). Counseling profession (4th Ed.). New York: Pearson.
- Casey, J.A. (1995). Developmental issues for school counselors using technology. Elementary School Guidance& Counseling, 30(1), 26-35.
- Cormier, L.S., & Hackney, H. (1987). The professional counselor: A process guide to helping. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Doyle, R.E. (1992). Essential skills and strategies in the helping process. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Egan, G. (1986). The skilled helper: A systematic approach to effective helping (3rd ed.). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole
- Gagne, R.M., Wager, W.W., Golsa, K.C., & Keller, J.M. (2005). Principles of instructional design (5th ed). Belmont, CA: Thomson Learning.
- Gibson, R.L., & Mitchell, M.H. (2003). Introduction to counseling and guidance (6th Ed.). Columbus, OH: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Grohol, J. (1999). Best practices in e-therapy: Confidentiality and privacy. Retrieved from http://psychcentral.com/best/best2.htm
- Kramer, S.A. (1990). Positive endings in psychotherapy. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Laszlo, J.V., Esterman, G., & Zabko, S. (1999). Therapy over the internet? Theory, research& Finances, CyberPsychology & Behavior, 2, 293-307.
- Lever-Duffy, J., McDonald, J.B., & Mizell, A.P. (2005). Teaching and learning with technology. New York: Pearson.
- Liu, L. (2007). Design and implementation of an online course in counseling and information technology. In C. Crawford, R. Carlsen, I. Gibson, K. McFerrin, J. Price, R. Weber& D.A. Willis (Eds.), Technology& Teacher Education Annual 2007(pp. 2404-2409). Charlottesville, VA: AACE.
- Liu, L., & Johnson, L. (2003). A new approach of design: Technology integration as information system development. C. Crawford, N. Davis, J. Price, R. Weber& D.A. Willis (Eds.), Technology& Teacher Education Annual 2000 (pp.1010-1016). Charlottesville, VA: AACE.
- Liu, L., & Velasquez-Bryant, J. (2003). An information technology integration system and its lifecycle: What is missing? Computers in the Schools, 20(1-2), 93-106.
- Nugent, F.A., & Jones, K.D. (2005). Introduction to professional counseling. Columbus, OH: Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Peterson, J.V., & Nisenholz, B.N. (1991). Orientation to counseling (2nd ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Rogers, C. (1951) Client-centered therapy: Its current practice, implications and theory. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Walter, J.L., & Peller, J.E. (1992). Becoming solution focused in brief therapy. New York: Brunner/Mazel.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.