Intelligent On-line Advising with Expert System Shell PROCEEDINGS
Kazimierz Kowalski, California State University, Dominguez Hills, United States ; Jozef Goetz, University of La Verne, United States ; Mahabub Alam, California State University, Dominguez Hills, United States
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-60-0 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
On-line academic advising is an integral part of web-mediated teaching and learning that has become popular among colleges and universities around the world. Such on-line academic advising can also complement traditional teaching environment. WWW delivered advising system has been described in this paper. It has been developed using Exsys CORVID™ professional expert system shell for its capabilities related to system development and product deployment. Advising website delivers decision making knowledge and customized recommendations to students through an interactive interface. The system interacts with students by emulating conversation with human advisor. Exsys CORVID's user interface features are used to collect student's data and to display the result of the application of knowledge base to user input data.
Kowalski, K., Goetz, J. & Alam, M. (2006). Intelligent On-line Advising with Expert System Shell. In T. Reeves & S. Yamashita (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2006--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 687-694). Honolulu, Hawaii, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 21, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/23771/.
© 2006 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Awad, E. (2002), Building Knowledge Automation Expert System with Exsys Corvid, Albuquerque, NM, Exsys, Inc.
- Billo, R.E., Bidanda, B. (1994), A Students Advising System for Undergraduate Engineering Curricular Scheduling, Computers& Education, 22(3), 205-213.
- Blue, M. (2002), General Studies– General Education, CSUDH 2002/2003 University Catalog, 83-89.
- Brosch, B. (2002), Knowledge Based Systems in Adaptive Training: Tailoring Training to the Individual, PC AI, 16(4), 50-56.
- CSUDH Communications Department Online Advising (2003), [On-line]. Available: http://mieszko.csudh.edu/comm2004/ Cutright, K.W., Williams, R.L., Debald, D.P. (1991), Design of a PC-Based Expert System for Academic Advising, Computers& Industrial Engineering, 21(1-4), 423-427.
- Dick G., Gyure J., Patterson-Randless S.R., Sernell J. (2000), Dr. Advisor: A Web Enabled Student Advising Resource. Proc. Of WebNet 2000 – World Conference on the WWW and Internet, San Antonio, TX, 796-797.
- Exsys Inc. (2003), A Guide to Using Exsys CORVID, Albuquerque, NM, Exsys Inc.
- Giarratano J., Riley, G. (1998), Expert Systems: Principles and Programming, 3rd ed., Boston, MA, PWS Publishing Company.
- Gordon, V., Habley W.R., editors (2000), Academic Advising: a comprehensive handbook, San Francisco, CA, Jossey-Bass.
- Horstman, C. (2002), Big Java:Programming and Practice, New York; Chichester : John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Hsu S., Marques O., Ilyas M., Ding X. (2002), Web-Based Undergraduate Academic Advising System, International Conference On Engineering Education, Manchester, U.K., 1-6.
- Huntington, D. (1997), Web-Based AI: Expert Systems on the WWW, PC AI, 11(2), 20-23
- Huntington, D. (2000), Expert Systems for Online Advice:Knowledge at Your Fingertips, PC AI, 14(4), 26-50.
- Kim, J.J. (1992), A Framework of an Integrated Knowledge-Based System for Academic Advising, Int. J. Of Engg. Ed., 8(6), 427-435.
- Kowalski K., Ealy D. (1991), Schedule Advisement Expert System, Computers and Education, 17(4), 259-266.
- Kowalski K. (1992), Expert System Shells in Students' Advising, Computers and Education, 19(4), 359-368.
- Morrison, F.A. (2003), CM Advising Java 1.3 Applet, [On-line]. Available: http://www.chem.mtu.edu/~fmorriso/advising/Advising_new.htmlNorton,G.(2002),TheOnlineAdvisor,[On-ine].Available:http://www.northern.wvnet.edu/~gnorton/onlineadvisor.html
- Stotts, D. (2003), eAdvisor Technical Manual, [On-line]. Available: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~stotts/comp145/homes/advising/tech_manTang,Z.,Fluker,J.,Zeng,X.(1999),Web-basedInteractiveStudentAdvisement(WISA),[On-line].Available:http://naweb.unb.ca/proceedings/1999/tang/tang.html
- Virtual Counseling (2003), [On-line]. Available: http://www.college.ucla.edu/up/counselling/onlineadvising.htm
- Wehrs, W.E. (1992), Using an Expert System to Support Academic Advising, Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 24(4), 545-562.
- Werner, S., Hunger, A., Schwarz, F., Buzuk, S. (2003), CONGA: A Course Online/Offline Information and Guidance System to Support an International Degree Course, "Advanced Research in Computers and Communications in Educationin-Volume 1" Proceedings of ICCE 99, Chiba, Japan, 577-583.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.