Unpacking TPACK: reconsidering knowledge and context in teacher practice.
Michael Phillips, Monash University, Australia ; Matthew Koehler, Joshua Rosenberg, Michigan State University, United States ; Benjamin Zunica, Monash University, Australia
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Austin, TX, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-27-8 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Teacher knowledge has been a research focus for a number of decades and is a core of the TPACK framework and the PCK framework which preceded it. Despite the centrality of knowledge in both conceptualisations, it is difficult to find clear and universally excepted conceptualisations of the term knowledge. We believe that, before proceeding with additional definitional work of different knowledge forms or the boundaries between these, the community of TPACK researchers - and indeed those who use PCK in their research - may benefit from the opportunity to step back and clarify what is meant by the term ‘knowledge’. This paper presents an argument that the knowledge required by teachers should not be thought of as one form. In contrast, discussion presented in this paper will outline a continuum from justified and true knowledge to actionable, craft knowledge by which researchers might consider teacher knowledge.
Phillips, M., Koehler, M., Rosenberg, J. & Zunica, B. (2017). Unpacking TPACK: reconsidering knowledge and context in teacher practice. In P. Resta & S. Smith (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2422-2429). Austin, TX, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved December 10, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/177538/.
© 2017 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Albion, P., Jamieson-Proctor, R., & Finger, G. (2010). Auditing the TPACK Confidence of Australian PreService Teachers: The TPACK Confidence Survey (TCS). Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010, San Diego, CA, USA. Http://www.editlib.org/p/33969
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualiation, development, and assessment of ICT-TPCK: advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers and Education, 52(1), 154-168.
- Archambault, L., & Crippen, K. (2009). Examining TPACK among K-12 online distance educators in the United States. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 71-88.
- Audi, R. (2010). Epistemology: A contemporary introduction to the theory of knowledge: Routledge.
- Binet, A. (1904). Spearman The proof and measurement of association between two things; General intelligence objectively determined and measured. L'année psychologique, 11(1), 623-624.
- Cox, S. (2008). A conceptual analysis of technological pedagogical content knowledge. (PhD), Brigham Young University, Provo, UT.
- Di Blas, N., Paolini, P., Sawaya, S., & Mishra, P. (2014). Distributed TPACK: going beyond knowledge in the head. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference.
- Doukakis, S., Psaltidou, A., Stavraki, A., Adamopoulos, N., Tsiotakis, P., & Stergou, S. (2010). Measuring the technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) of in-service teachers of computer science who teach algorithms and programming in upper secondary education. Readings in technology and education: Proceedings of ICICTE, 442-452.
- Eisner, E.W. (2002). From episteme to phronesis to artistry in the study and improvement of teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18(4), 375-385.
- Gall, M., Borg, W., & Gall, J. (2007). Educational research: An introduction. Action Research.
- Gess-Newsome, J. (2002). Pedagogical content knowledge: an introduction and orientation. In J. GessNewsome, & N. Lederman (Eds.), PCK and science education (pp. 3–17).New York, NY: Kluwer
- Harris, J., Grandgenett, N., & Hofer, M. (2010). Testing a TPACK-Based Technology Integration Assessment Rubric. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010, San Diego, CA, USA. Http://www.editlib.org/p/33978 Harris, J., Grandgenett, N., & Hofer, M. (2012). Testing an instrument using structured interviews to assess experienced teachers’ TPACK.
- Hofer, M., & Grandgenett, N. (2012). TPACK development in teacher education: A longitudinal study of preservice teachers in a secondary MA Ed. Program. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(1), 83-106.
- Hofer, M., Grandgenett, N., Harris, J., & Swan, K. (2011). Testing a TPACK-based technology integration observation instrument.
- Jimoyiannis, A. (2010). Designing and implementing an integrated technological pedagogical science knowledge framework for science teachers professional development. Computers and Education, 55(3), 1259-1269.
- Kereluik, K., Casperson, G., & Akcaoglu, M. (2010). Coding Pre-Service Teacher Lesson Plans for TPACK. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010, San Diego, CA, USA. Http://www.editlib.org/p/33986 Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P., & Yahya, K. (2007). Tracing the development of teacher knowledge in a design seminar: Integrating content, pedagogy and technology. Computers& Education, 49(3), 740-762.
- Meagher, M., Ozgun-Koca, A., & Edwards, M.T. (2011). Pre-service teachers’ experiences with advanced digital technologies: The interplay between technology in a pre-service classroom and in field placements. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 11(3), 243-270.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A Framework for Teacher Knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Peruski, L., Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2007). Developing technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK) through teaching online. Paper presented at the Proceedings of society for information technology and teacher education international conference.
- Phillips, M. (2015). Models of technology integration. In M. Henderson& G. Romeo (Eds.), Teaching and Digital Technologies (pp. 318-331). Melbourne, Australia: Cambridge University Press.
- Phillips, M. (2016). Digital technology, schools and teachers' workplace learning: Policy, practice and identity. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Phillips, M., Koehler, M., & Rosenberg, J. (2016). Looking outside the circles: Considering the contexts influencing TPACK development and enactment. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technologies in Education Conference, Savannah, Georgia, USA.
- Phillips, M., Koehler, M., & Rosenberg, J. (2016). Considering Context: Teachers' TPACK development and Enactment. In L. Liu& D. Gibson (Eds.), Research Highlights in Technology and Teacher Education 2016 (pp. 53-60). North Carolina, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education.
- Rittel, H.W.J., & Webber, M.M. (1973). Dilemmas in a General Theory of Planning. Policy Sciences, 4, 155169.
- Robertshaw, M.B., & Gillam, R.B. (2010). Examining the validity of the TPACK framework from the ground up: Viewing technology integration through teachers’ eyes. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference.
- Schmidt, D., Baran Sahin, E., Thompson, A., & Seymour, J. (2008). Developing effective technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK) in PreK-6 teachers. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) the development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Schmidt-Crawford, D.A., Tai, S.-J.D., Wang, W., & Jin, Y. (2016). Understanding Teachers’ TPACK Through Observation. Handbook of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) for Educators, 107.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Shulman, L.S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57(1), 1-22.
- So, H.-J., & Kim, B. (2009). Learning about problem based learning: Student teachers integrating technology, pedagogy and content knowledge. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 25(1), 101-116.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- presentation_3075_50866.pptx (Access with Subscription)