Creating Engaging Openers Through Story: Developing Pre-service Teachers’ Understanding of Sustainability Using Digital Video
Catharyn Shelton, Leanna Archambault, Annie Warren, Arizona State University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Savannah, GA, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This session examines an online learning module designed to teach preservice teachers about digital storytelling through the production of their own original videos. In the module, students learn about digital storytelling through an inquiry exploration of information graphics, an analysis of example student-produced digital stories, and by making their own digital storytelling videos using their smart phones with the simple free video software, WeVideo. We discuss design considerations and challenges, in addition to presenting evidence regarding the experiences of students who completed the learning module (n = 24). We consider the impact of giving preservice teachers experience with digital storytelling production to foster their own ability to create video clips for teaching, as well as their ability to guide their future students in producing videos for project-based learning experiences.
Shelton, C., Archambault, L. & Warren, A. (2016). Creating Engaging Openers Through Story: Developing Pre-service Teachers’ Understanding of Sustainability Using Digital Video. In G. Chamblee & L. Langub (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 461-464). Savannah, GA, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved December 10, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/171716/.
© 2016 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Arya, D.J. & Maul, A. (2012). The role of the scientific discovery narrative in middle school science education: An experimental study. Journal of Educational Psychology, 104, 1022-1032
- Avraamidou, L., & Osborne, J. (2009). The role of narrative in communicating science. International Journal of Science Education, 31, 1683–1707.
- Chi, M.T., Leeuw, N.D., Chiu, M., & Lavancher, C. (2012). Eliciting self-explanations improves understanding. Cognitive Science, 18(3), 439-477.
- Dreon, O., Kerper, R.M., & Landis, J. (2011). Digital storytelling: A tool for teaching and learning in the YouTube generation. Middle School Journal, 42(5), 4-10.
- Kajder, S. & Swenson, J. (2004). Digital images in the language arts classroom. Learning and Leading with Technology, 31(8), 18-22.
- Lambert, J. (2013). Digital storytelling: Capturing lives, creating community (4th ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Lowenthal, P.R. & Dunlap, J.C. (2010). From pixel on a screen to real person in your students’ lives: Establishing social presence using digital storytelling. Internet and Higher Education, 13, 70-72.
- Rambe, P. & Mlambo, S. (2014). Using digital storytelling to externalize personal knowledge of research processes: The case for a Knowledge Audio repository. Internet and Higher Education, 22, 11-23.
- Robin, B.R. (2008). Digital storytelling: A powerful technology tool for the 21 st century classroom. Theory Into Practice, 47, 220-228.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(4), 414.
- Warren, A.E., Archambault, L.M., Foley, R.W. (2014). Sustainability Education Framework for Teachers: Developing sustainability literacy through futures, values, systems, and strategic thinking. Journal of Sustainability Education, 6, 1-14.
- Zhang, D., Zhou, L., Briggs, R.O., Nunamaker, J.F. (2006). Instructional video in e-learning: Assessing the impact of interactive video on learning effectiveness. Information& Management, 43, 15-27.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- presentation_3071_47949.pptx (Access with Subscription)