E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Las Vegas, NV, USA ISBN 978-1-939797-05-6 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
How will Moocs influence the college and university system? This paper examines them with the “iron triangle” principles of access, cost, and quality. These show that while Moocs have lower cost, they also have reduced access. Because they reduce person-to-person contact, students must already be skilled life-long learners. In addition, while Moocs are currently free, this is a result of them being subsidized. Their actual cost per successful completer is closer to 1/10th of a traditional face-to-face or online course. As a result, Moocs are unlikely to significantly affect existing face-to-face or online delivery mechanisms. Instead, they are likely to reach new life-long learners.
Garrett, N. & Allala, Y. (2013). MOOCs: Why Low-Cost Will Not Create Equal Access. In T. Bastiaens & G. Marks (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2013--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 86-94). Las Vegas, NV, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 18, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/114805/.
© 2013 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Allen, I.E., & Seaman, J. (2011). Going the Distance: Online Education in the United States, 2011. American School and University. Retrieved from http://qp.granularit.com/media/39506/Going_the_Distance_Japy.pdf Allen, I.E., & Seaman, J. (2013). Changing Course: Ten Years of Tracking Online Education in the United States. Retrieved from http://www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/changingcourse.pdf
- Baum, S., & Ma, J. (2012). Trends in College Pricing 2012. Retrieved from http://advocacy.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/college-pricing-2012-full-report_0.pdf Belanger, Y. (2013). Bioelectricity: A Quantitative Approach.
- Butcher, N., & Wilson-Strydom, M. (2013). A Guide to Quality in Online Learning. Retrieved from http://www.academicpartnerships.com/docs/default-documentlibrary/newbooklet15_singleb.pdf
- Carey, T., & Trick, D. (2013). How Online Learning Affects Productivity, Cost and Quality in Higher Education: An Environmental Scan and Review of the Literature. Retrieved from http://www.heqco.ca/en-CA/Research/Research Publications/Pages/Summary.aspx?
- Cavanaugh, J. (2013). Teaching Online-A Time Comparison, 1–9.
- Chisholm, I.M., & Carey, J. (2002). Information Technology Skills for a Pluralistic Society: Is the Playing Field Level? Journal of Research on Technology, 35(1), 58–79.
- Clow, D. (2013). MOOCs and the funnel of participation. In Third Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK 2013), 8-12 April 2013,. Leuven, Belgium.
- Daniel, J. (2012). Making sense of MOOCs: Musings in a maze of myth, paradox and possibility. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, 1–2. Retrieved from http://wwwjime.open.ac.uk/jime/article/viewArticle/2012-18/html
- Daniel, S.J., Kanwar, A., & Uvalic-Trumbic, S. (2009). Breaking Higher Education’s Iron Triangle. Change, (March/April), 30–35.
- Eom, S.B., Wen, H.J., & Ashill, N. (2006). The Determinants of Students’ Perceived Learning Outcomes and Satisfaction in University Online Education: An Empirical Investigation. Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 4(2).
- Guzdial, M. (2013). Computing Education Blog First, Do No Harm : Inequality in American Education Will Not Be Solved Online. Computing Education Blog. Retrieved from http://computinged.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/first-do-no-harm-inequality-in-americaneducation-will-not-be-solved-online/
- Hill, P. (2013). MOOCs Beyond Professional Development: Coursera’ s Big Announcement in Context. E-Literate.
- Horn, L., Berger, R., & Carrol, C.D. (2004). College Persistence on the Rise? Completion and Postsecondary Persistence Rates Between 1994 and 2000. Retrieved from http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2005/2005156.pdf Johnston, J., Killion, J., & Oomen, J. (2005). Student Satisfaction in the Virtual Classroom. The International Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice, 3(2).
- Jordan, K. (2013). MOOC Completion Rates: The Data. Retrieved from http://www.katyjordan.com/MOOCproject.html
- Kahlenberg, R.D. (2004). Left Behind: Unequal Opportunity in Higher Education. Retrieved from http://tcf.org/assets/downloads/tcf-leftbehindrc.pdf Kizilcec, R.F., Piech, C., & Schneider, E. (2013). Deconstructing Disengagement: Analyzing Learner Subpopulations in Massive Open Online Courses Categories and Subject Descriptors. In LAK 13. Leuven, Belgium.
- Kolowich, S., & Newman, J. (2013, July 17). The Minds Behind the MOOCs: Additional Results from the Chronicle’s Survey. The Chronicle of Higher Education, pp. 1–14. Retrieved from
- Means, B., Toyama, Y., Murphy, R., Bakia, M., & Jones, K. (2010). Evaluation of EvidenceBased Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies. Retrieved from http://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-basedpractices/finalreport.pdf
- Pascarella, E.T., & Terenzini, P.T. (2005). How College Affects Students: Volume 2. John Wiley& Sons: San Francisco, CA.
- Popp, T. (2013). MOOC U. University of Pennsylvania Gazette. Retrieved from http://www.upenn.edu/gazette/0313/feature4_1.html
- Ryan, C.L., & Siebens, J. (2012). Educational Attainment in the United States: 2009. Retrieved from http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p20-566.pdf Sander, P., Stevenson, K., King, M., & Coates, D. (2000). University Students’ Expectations of Teaching. Studies in Higher education, 25(3).
- Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 5(1), 1–8.
- Solash, R. (2013, July 8). What Happens When People in Pakistan Start Taking MIT Classes? The Atlantic. Retrieved from http://M.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/whathappens-when-people-in-pakistan-start-taking-mit-classes/277580/
- Synder, T.D., & Dillow, S.A. (2011). Digest of Education Statistics 2011. Retrieved from http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2012/2012001.pdf Tinto, V. (1997). Classrooms as Communities: Exploring the Educational Character of Student Persistence. The Journal of Higher Education, 68(6), 599–623.
- Vardi, M.Y. (2012). Will MOOCs Destroy Academia? Communications of the ACM, 55(11), 5.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.