ICT in Psychology Teaching: Formative Evaluations
Weiqin Chen, Rolf Reber, Anne Margrethe Stokke-Olsen, Birgitte Gudem, University of Bergen
International Journal on E-Learning, ISSN 1537-2456 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC USA
This article presents design, development, and evaluation of POSbase in Psychology teaching. POSbase is a highly flexible system that encourages constructive and self-regulated learning. It also allows researchers and instructors to share their teaching materials and experience. POSbase was introduced to undergraduate and to masters students in psychology. We conducted two formative evaluations and implemented improvements between and after the evaluations. Findings from the evaluations show users' positive response toward POSbase as well as requirements for further improvement of the functionalities.
Chen, W., Reber, R., Stokke-Olsen, A.M. & Gudem, B. (2008). ICT in Psychology Teaching: Formative Evaluations. International Journal on E-Learning, 7(2), 201-218. Waynesville, NC USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved May 29, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/23533/.
© 2008 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Alessi, S. M., & Trollip, S. R. (2001). Multimedia for learning: Methods and development. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Chen, W., Reber, R., Gudem, B., & Stokke, A.-M. (2004). ICT in Psychology Teaching: A Formative Evaluation. In Kinshuk (Ed.), Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (pp. 723-725). Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press. Chin, J. P., Diehl, V. A., & Norman, K. L. (1988). Development of an instrument measuring user satisfaction of the human-computer interface. In J.J. O’Hare (Ed.), Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 213-218). Washington, DC: ACM Press.
- Cockburn, A. (2002). Agile software development. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Cordova, D. I., & Lepper, M. R. (1996). Intrinsic motivation and the process of learning: Beneficial effects of contextualization, personalization, and choice. Journal of Educational Psychology, 88(4), 715-730.
- Flagg, B. N. (1990). Formative evaluation for educational technologies. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Greeno, J. G., Collins, A. M., & Resnick, L. B. (1996). Cognition and learning. In D. Berliner & R. Calfee (Eds.), Handbook of educational psychology (pp. 15-46). New York: Macmillan. Grønmo, S. (1996). Forholdet mellom kvalitative og kvantitative tilnærminger i samfunnsforskningen [The relationship between qualitative and quantitative approaches in social
- Mayer, R. E. (2001). Multimedia learning. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Mayer, R. E., & Moreno, R. (2003). Nine ways to reduce cognitive load in multimedia learning. Educational Psychologist, 38(1), 43-52, 2003.
- Mueller, J. (2005). Cool!: Brief PowerPoint presentations of research articles. Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter, 4(6). Retrieved December 30, 2007, from http://mail.cedarville.edu/pipermail/socialpsy-teach/2005-February/000053.html
- Netwatch (2005). Cognitive canon. Science, 310(5747), 415.
- Preece, J., Rogers, Y., Sharp, H., Benyon, D., Holland, S., & Carey, T. (1994). Human-computer interaction. Wokingham, UK: Addison-Wesley.
- Reber, R. (2004). Availability. In R. Pohl (Ed.), Cognitive illusions (pp. 147-163). Hove, UK: Psychology Press.
- Reber, R. (2005). Assessing motivational factors in educational technology: The case of building a web site as course assignment. British Journal of Educational Technology, 36(1), 93-95. Remenyi, D., Williams, B., Money, A., & E. Swartz (1998). Doing research in business and management: An introduction to process and method. London: SAGE.
- Shneiderman, B. (1998). Designing the user interface. Strategies for effective human-computer interaction. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Shuell, T. J. (2001). Learning theories and educational paradigms. In P.B. Baltes & N.J. Smelser (Eds.), The international encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences (pp. 8613-8620). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Silverman, D. (2001). Interpreting qualitative data: Methods for analysing talk, text and interaction (2nd ed.). London: Sage.
- Tversky, A. & Kahneman, D. (1973). Availability: A heuristic for judging frequency and probability. Cognitive Psychology, 5(2), 207-232.
- Wottawa, H., & Pult, D. (2001). Educational evaluation: Overview. In P.B. Baltes & N.J. Smelser (Eds.), The international encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences (pp. 4255-4259). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References