Education and Information Technology Annual 2018: A Selection of AACE Award Papers EBook
Theo J Bastiaens, Open University, The Netherlands & Fernuniversität, Germany ; Gary Marks, AACE, United States
Education and Information Technology Annual 2018: A Selection of AACE Award Papers. Published . Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
We are proud to present to you this selection of 20 award-winning papers from AACE’s conferences.
This year's selection includes papers from the annual conference of the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education (SITE) in Austin, Texas, the World Conference on Educational Media & Technology (EdMedia) in Washington D.C., the World Conference on E-Learning (E-Learn) in Vancouver, Canada. The decision to nominate a conference paper for an award was made by peer reviewers. All authors were honored during the conference and received a certificate for outstanding research and contribution to the conference. The award papers are grouped in seven parts, providing a timely overview and record of topics that are of primary interest in educational technology this year.
We hope that the reader enjoys this selection as much as we enjoyed working with these cutting-edge scholars. It is the seventh year that we publish this edition.
Bastiaens, T.J. & Marks, G. (2018). Education and Information Technology Annual 2018: A Selection of AACE Award Papers. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 18, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/182952/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
PART 1 PERSPECTIVES ON EDUCATIONAL PRACTICE
- Chapter 1 Open Educational Practice and Preservice Teacher Education: 17
- Chapter 2 Reasons why some university students avoid the online learning 29
PART 2 COMMUNICATION
- Chapter 3 The Challenges and Benefits of Regular Face-to-Face 43
- Chapter 4 Cooperative Learning and Web 2.0: a Social Perspective on Critical 55
- Chapter 5 A Tweet by Any Other Frame: Three Approaches to Studying Educator Interactions on Twitter 67
- Chapter 6 Using Virtual Roleplay Modules to Develop Teacher Candidates’ 75
PART 3 INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN
- Chapter 7 Distance Learning Instructional Design: Assessing Professional Competence with Miller’s Pyramid 83
- Chapter 8 Activity Theory and Interactive Design for the African Storybook Initiative 95
- Chapter 9 Teacher Perspectives on Technology Integration Professional Development: Formal, Informal, and Independent Learning Activities 107
- Chapter 10 Computational Thinking in Computer Science Classrooms: 121
PART 4 TPACK
- Chapter 11 Differences in preservice teachers’ readiness to use ICT in education and development of TPACK 133
- Chapter 12 Exploring Independence of Five TPACK Domains TK, PK, CK Math, CK Science, and TPACK of Pre-service Special Education Teachers. 143
PART 5 MAKERS
- Chapter 13 Physical Computing for STEAM Education: Maker-Educators’ Experiences in an Online Graduate Course 155
- Chapter 14 Educational Effects of a Virtual Reality Simulation System for constructing Self-Built PCs 165
PART 6 MOBILE LEARNING
- Chapter 15 Spaced Repetition in Mobile Learning Games-A Cure to Bulimic Learning? 177
- Chapter 16 Students with Disabilities: Mobile Device Ownership, Usage, and Perspectives on Mobile Learning 189
- Chapter 17 Validation of Mobile Phone Use in the Classroom Survey 201
- Chapter 18 Using Mobile Technology to Support Physician and Student Learning as Part of Patient Care 211
PART 7 EVALUATION & ASSESSMENT
- Chapter 19 Factors Influencing Response Rates in Online Student Evaluation Systems: A Systematic Review Approach 225
- Chapter 20 Searching for effective peer assessment models for improving online learning in HE-Do-It-Yourself (DIY) case 233