SAXEF: A System for Automatic eXtraction of E-learning object Features
Marco Alfano, Anghelos Centre on Communication Studies, Italy ; Biagio Lenzitti, Un. Palermo, Italy ; Natalia Visalli, SISSIS - Un. Palermo, Italy
Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society Volume 3, Number 2, ISSN 1826-6223 e-ISSN 1826-6223 Publisher: Italian e-Learning Association
New online courses are often created by using existing materials on the net.However, those materials are usually proposed without information on their aims and the typology of users which they are destined to. Moreover, the contents are not clearly synthesized so that a complete analysis of the whole materials is often necessary to understand their relevance to the new course.Using our experience on the creation of online courses with existing web materials, we have thought how to help teachers in fi nding the best materials for the creation of new online courses. To this end, we have developed a system, called SAXEF (System for Automatic eXtraction of learning object Features), that is capable to automatically extract the didactic indicators (a sort of DNA) of any web page (or group of pages) found on internet and allows a teacher to easily evaluate whether that page (with its contents) is of interest to him/her. This paper presents the main architecture of SAXEF, its implementation details and some experiences on its use. At present, SAXEF is capable to automatically extract various didactic indicators such as main and secondary topics, synthesis level and multimedia level from any group of web pages.
Alfano, M., Lenzitti, B. & Visalli, N. (2007). SAXEF: A System for Automatic eXtraction of E-learning object Features. Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, 3(2), 83-92. Italian e-Learning Association. Retrieved March 24, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/43415/.
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Alfano M., Lenzitti B. & Pace A. (2005), Tutor-Sky: A web environment for multimedia on-line education, in: Chiazzese G. Et al. (eds), Methodologies and Technologies for Learning. 297-304, WIT Press.
- Alfano M., Lenzitti B. & Visalli N. (2005), Creation of on-line courses using existing learning objects, in: Proceedings of II E-Learning Conference. Berlin, 6-7 September 2005.
- Alfano M., Lenzitti B. & Visalli N. (2006), Text analysis module of a System for Automatic eXtraction of lEarning object Features (SAXEF), in: Proceedings of III E-Learning Conference. Coimbra, 7-8 September 2006.
- Alvino S., Sarti L. (2004), Learning Objects e Costruttivismo, in: Andronico A., Frignani T., Poletti G. (eds), Proceedings of Didamatica 2004. Ferrara, 10-12 May 2004. Brooks C. Et al. (2006), Issues and Directions with Educational Metadata, URL: http://pami.uwaterloo.ca/pub/hammouda/i2lor06-metadata.pdf (accessed on 30th March 2007).
- Calvani A., Rotta M. (2000), Fare formazione in Internet. Manuale di didattica online, Erickson.
- Cardinaels K., Meire M. & Duval E. (2005), Automating Metadata Generation: the Simple Indexing Interface, in: Proceedings of the 14th ACM International Conference on WorldWide Web, Chiba, 14-15 May 2005.
- Collins B., Strijker A. (2001), New Pedagogies andre-usable learning objects; toward a new economy in education, in: Educational Technology Systems, 30(2), 137Je-LKS — Applications-Vol. 3, N. 2, june 2007
- Fini A., Vanni L. (2004), Learning Object e metadati. Quando, come e perchè avvalersene, Trento, Erickson.
- Gibbons A.S., Nelson J. & Richards R. (2000), The nature and origin of instructional objects, in: Wiley D.A. (ed.), The Instructional Use of Learning objects.
- Hodgins H.W. (2000), The future of learning objects, in: Wiley D.A. (ed.), The Instructional Use of Learning objects.
- IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (2002), IEEE Standard for Learning Object Metadata, 1484.12.1-2002.
- Koper R., Tattersall C (2005), Learning Design. A Handbook on Modelling and Delivering Networked education and Training, Berlin, Springer.
- Lenzitti B., Visalli N. (2003), STDIO.D Strumenti per la Didattica On line.Docenti, in: Expo-Learning 2004, Ferrara, 9-12 October 2004, URL: http://sissis.unipa.it/sito/levis/articolonew (accessed on 30th March 2007).
- Petrucco C. (2003), Le Prospettive Didattiche del Semantic Web, in: Proceedings of Didamatica 2003. 168-176, TED, 27-28 February 2003.
- Saini P., Ronchetti M. (2003), Semantic Based Architecture for E-Learning, Journal of Digital Contents 2 (1), 26-30.
- Sonntag, M. (2004), Metadata in E-Learning Applications: Automatic Extraction and Reuse, in: Hofer, C., Chroust, G. (eds), IDIMT-2004, 12th Interdisciplinary Information Management Talks. 219-231, Linz, 2004.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References