IJTES Volume 3, Number 2, ISSN 2651-5369 Publisher: International Journal of Technology in Education and Science
Software Effort Estimation is one of the most challenging aspects in the software development life cycle. Recent empirical studies in the area of software development estimation indicate the presence of two models for effort estimation: (i) Formal, and (ii) Expert Based (Informal). The IT sector in Palestine is one of the most promising and constantly growing sectors. Nonetheless, studies addressing effort estimation approaches and techniques within the Palestinian IT sector are still highly missing. Therefore, we were motivated to conduct a qualitative study to increase our understanding about how industrial teams approach software effort estimation and to explore the challenges they are facing. Our investigation started with a survey that targeted software professionals, and then we conducted multiple-case study approach involving four different software development companies in Palestine. Results show that: (i) around 25% of cost overrun in software projects is due to inaccurate estimations; (ii) expert based estimation models are the mostly applied models especially within agile environments; (iii) a potential advantage can be achieved when formalizing the process of expert based models by having guidelines and checklists; (iv) accuracy of effort estimation is largely affected by team experience, domain knowledge, and requirements clarity; (v) companies working with outsourcing model do have better effort estimation accuracy than companies working in local market. Based on our findings, we highlight areas that require further investigation.
Zarour, A. & Zein, S. (2019). Software Development Estimation Techniques in Industrial Contexts: An Exploratory Multiple Case-Study. International Journal of Technology in Education and Science, 3(2), 72-84. Retrieved March 23, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/207264/.
- Mansor, Z., Razali, R., Yahaya, J., Yahya, S., & Arshad, N.H. (2016). Issues and challenges of cost management in agile software development projects. Advanced Science Letters, 22(8), 1981-1984.
- Bilgaiyan, S., Sagnika, S., Mishra, S., & Das, M. (2017). A Systematic Review on Software Cost Estimation in Agile Software Development. Journal of Engineering Science& Technology Review, 10(4).
- Tailor, O., Saini, J., & Rijwani, M.P. (2014). Comparative Analysis of Software Cost and Effort Estimation Methods: A Review. Interfaces, 5(7), 10.
- Rijwani, P., Jain, S., & Santani, D. (2014). Software Effort Estimation: A comparison based Perspective. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering and Management (IJAIEM), 3(12), 18-29.
- Borade, J.G., & Khalkar, V.R. (2013). Software project effort and cost estimation techniques. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, 3(8).
- Ramacharan, S., & Rao, K.V. (2013). Parametric Models for Effort Estimation for Global Software Development. Lecture Notes on Software Engineering, 1(2), 178.
- Colomo-Palacios, R. (Ed.). (2014). Agile Estimation Techniques and Innovative Approaches to Software Process Improvement. IGI Global.
- Jacobs, D. (2005). Accelerating process improvement using agile techniques. Auerbach Publications.
- Panda, A., Satapathy, S.M., & Rath, S.K. (2015). Empirical validation of neural network models for agile software effort estimation based on story points. Procedia Computer Science, 57, 772-781.
- Porru, S., Murgia, A., Demeyer, S., Marchesi, M., & Tonelli, R. (2016, September). Estimating story points from issue reports. In Proceedings of the The 12th International Conference on Predictive Models and Data Analytics in Software Engineering(P. 2). ACM.
- Hancock, D.R., & Algozzine, B. (2016). Doing case study research: A practical guide for beginning researchers. Teachers College Press.
- Yin, R.K. (2009). Case study research: Design and methods (applied social research methods). London and Singapore: Sage.
- Anwer, F., Aftab, S., Waheed, U., & Muhammad, S.S. (2017). Agile Software Development Models TDD, FDD, DSDM, and Crystal Methods: A Survey. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Sciences and Engineering, 8(2), 1-10.
- Minku, L.L., & Yao, X. (2013). Ensembles and locality: Insight on improving software effort estimation. Information and Software Technology, 55(8), 1512-1528.
- Jorgensen, M., Boehm, B., & Rifkin, S. (2009). Software development effort estimation: Formal models or expert judgment?. IEEE software, 26(2), 14-19.
- Usman, M., Petersen, K., Börstler, J., & Neto, P. (2018). Developing and Using Checklists to Improve Software Effort Estimation: a Multi-Case Study.
- Dagnino, A. (2013, May). Estimating software-intensive projects in the absence of historical data. In Software Engineering (ICSE), 2013 35th International Conference on(pp. 941-950). IEEE.
- Nguyen-Cong, D., & Tran-Cao, D. (2013, November). A review of effort estimation studies in agile, iterative and incremental software development. In Computing and Communication Technologies, Research, Innovation, and Vision for the Future (RIVF), 2013 IEEE RIVF International Conference on (pp. 27-30).
- Hamouda, A.E.D. (2014, July). Using agile story points as an estimation technique in cmmi organizations. In 2014 Agile Conference (AGILE) (pp. 16-23). IEEE.
- Lenarduzzi, V., Morasca, S., & Taibi, D. (2014, August). Estimating software development effort based on phases. In Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA), 2014 40th EUROMICRO Conference on (pp. 305-308). IEEE.
- Usman, M., Mendes, E., Weidt, F., & Britto, R. (2014, September). Effort estimation in agile software development: a systematic literature review. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Predictive Models in Software Engineering (pp. 82-91). ACM.
- Usman, M., Mendes, E., & Börstler, J. (2015, April). Effort estimation in agile software development: a survey on the state of the practice. In Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (P. 12). ACM.
- Zein, S., Salleh, N., & Grundy, J. (2015, September). Mobile application testing in industrial contexts: an exploratory multiple case-study. In International Conference on Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools, and Techniques (pp. 30-41). Springer, Cham.
- Usman, M., & Britto, R. (2016, October). Effort estimation in co-located and globally distributed agile software development: A comparative study. In Software Measurement and the International Conference on Software Process and Product Measurement (IWSM-MENSURA), 2016 Joint Conference of the International Workshop on (pp. 219-224). IEEE.
- Tanveer, B. (2017, June). Guidelines for utilizing change impact analysis when estimating effort in agile software development. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (pp. 252-257). ACM.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.